Mar 20, 2013, 2:53 PM EDT
The hard-luck Carolina Hurricanes can’t catch a break.
On Wednesday, the club announced it will be without the services of defenseman Justin Faulk — possibly up to a month — after he suffered a second-degree sprain of his MCL during Tuesday’s loss to Florida.
Faulk, who turned 21 today, was in the midst of a stellar campaign with the ‘Canes.
The club’s second-round pick (37th overall) at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, he leads the team in average time on ice per game (23:23) and is one point behind Joe Corvo — also currently out with an injury — for the scoring lead among defensemen.
The injury occurred after Faulk got bumped by Panthers forward Jack Skille behind the Carolina goal.
Oddly enough, that pair was involved in another massive injury blow for Carolina this season — back on Mar. 3, Faulk and Skille tumbled into starting netminder Cam Ward, who suffered a third-degree MCL sprain that could keep him out for the remainder of the regular season.
Of note, ‘Canes GM Jim Rutherford said Faulk will not require surgery.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 1
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 5
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 9
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)