Mar 20, 2013, 2:53 PM EDT
The hard-luck Carolina Hurricanes can’t catch a break.
On Wednesday, the club announced it will be without the services of defenseman Justin Faulk — possibly up to a month — after he suffered a second-degree sprain of his MCL during Tuesday’s loss to Florida.
Faulk, who turned 21 today, was in the midst of a stellar campaign with the ‘Canes.
The club’s second-round pick (37th overall) at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, he leads the team in average time on ice per game (23:23) and is one point behind Joe Corvo — also currently out with an injury — for the scoring lead among defensemen.
The injury occurred after Faulk got bumped by Panthers forward Jack Skille behind the Carolina goal.
Oddly enough, that pair was involved in another massive injury blow for Carolina this season — back on Mar. 3, Faulk and Skille tumbled into starting netminder Cam Ward, who suffered a third-degree MCL sprain that could keep him out for the remainder of the regular season.
Of note, ‘Canes GM Jim Rutherford said Faulk will not require surgery.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)