Mar 20, 2013, 2:53 PM EDT
The hard-luck Carolina Hurricanes can’t catch a break.
On Wednesday, the club announced it will be without the services of defenseman Justin Faulk — possibly up to a month — after he suffered a second-degree sprain of his MCL during Tuesday’s loss to Florida.
Faulk, who turned 21 today, was in the midst of a stellar campaign with the ‘Canes.
The club’s second-round pick (37th overall) at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, he leads the team in average time on ice per game (23:23) and is one point behind Joe Corvo — also currently out with an injury — for the scoring lead among defensemen.
The injury occurred after Faulk got bumped by Panthers forward Jack Skille behind the Carolina goal.
Oddly enough, that pair was involved in another massive injury blow for Carolina this season — back on Mar. 3, Faulk and Skille tumbled into starting netminder Cam Ward, who suffered a third-degree MCL sprain that could keep him out for the remainder of the regular season.
Of note, ‘Canes GM Jim Rutherford said Faulk will not require surgery.
- Flames stun Ducks in OT to get back in the series 5
- Video: Controversial no-goal call on Flames 2
- Video: Crawford, Kane help Blackhawks push Wild to brink of elimination 33
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 1
- Prust apologizes for all the stuff he said about referee Watson 48
- Flyers will be ‘extremely patient’ with youngsters, but ‘want a winner as soon as possible’ 22
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 52
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 66
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (83)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)
- New York second: Capitals stun Rangers for 1-0 series lead (76)