Mar 20, 2013, 2:53 PM EDT
The hard-luck Carolina Hurricanes can’t catch a break.
On Wednesday, the club announced it will be without the services of defenseman Justin Faulk — possibly up to a month — after he suffered a second-degree sprain of his MCL during Tuesday’s loss to Florida.
Faulk, who turned 21 today, was in the midst of a stellar campaign with the ‘Canes.
The club’s second-round pick (37th overall) at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, he leads the team in average time on ice per game (23:23) and is one point behind Joe Corvo — also currently out with an injury — for the scoring lead among defensemen.
The injury occurred after Faulk got bumped by Panthers forward Jack Skille behind the Carolina goal.
Oddly enough, that pair was involved in another massive injury blow for Carolina this season — back on Mar. 3, Faulk and Skille tumbled into starting netminder Cam Ward, who suffered a third-degree MCL sprain that could keep him out for the remainder of the regular season.
Of note, ‘Canes GM Jim Rutherford said Faulk will not require surgery.
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 4
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 58
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)