Mar 20, 2013, 2:53 PM EDT
The hard-luck Carolina Hurricanes can’t catch a break.
On Wednesday, the club announced it will be without the services of defenseman Justin Faulk — possibly up to a month — after he suffered a second-degree sprain of his MCL during Tuesday’s loss to Florida.
Faulk, who turned 21 today, was in the midst of a stellar campaign with the ‘Canes.
The club’s second-round pick (37th overall) at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, he leads the team in average time on ice per game (23:23) and is one point behind Joe Corvo — also currently out with an injury — for the scoring lead among defensemen.
The injury occurred after Faulk got bumped by Panthers forward Jack Skille behind the Carolina goal.
Oddly enough, that pair was involved in another massive injury blow for Carolina this season — back on Mar. 3, Faulk and Skille tumbled into starting netminder Cam Ward, who suffered a third-degree MCL sprain that could keep him out for the remainder of the regular season.
Of note, ‘Canes GM Jim Rutherford said Faulk will not require surgery.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 14
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 15
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 29
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 43
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (43)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)