Mar 19, 2013, 11:39 PM EDT
Barry Trotz was blunt with his criticisms to the Tennessean regarding a struggling Nashville Predators team that fell to the Columbus Blue Jackets 4-3 on Tuesday, extending their losing streak to four games.
” … Close but no cigar,” Trotz said. “You need 20 guys. Right now we’re a little shorthanded, guys are trying to stay in the league, some guys are trying to make the team, some guys are trying to make a difference.”
From the sound of things, some of those fringe players won’t earn a full-time NHL job.
“We have a good goaltender, we have to play good defensively. I know some guys are playing over their heads, some guys quite clearly can’t play at this level, that’s plain and simple, but we’re going to sort that out and go from there,” Trotz said. “Some guys, I’m not happy with their game, they have to give us more. And I can go top to bottom, there’s some guys in that locker room who can give us a lot more, and that’s the part that bothers me.”
Four losses in a row could seem like a hiccup, but things have been rough for more than a month. The Predators are now 4-10-1 since Feb. 16, leaving them in 13th place in the Western Conference.
(If that’s not bad enough, Ryan Suter and Minnesota Wild have been on a roll since the defenseman’s awkward homecoming. These are bad times for the Preds.)
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 14
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 15
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 37
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)