Mar 19, 2013, 6:52 PM EDT
On paper, adding a first-round talent like Chris Kreider to the struggling New York Rangers’ lineup makes perfect sense. Head coach John Tortorella told the Bergen Record that a call-up isn’t so obvious a choice when you ponder the possibility that he could be sent back to the AHL again, though.
“We don’t want to keep on knee jerking him back and forth, we want to make sure if we do (call him up), we feel he’s ready to play,” Tortorella said.
The 21-year-old center played with the Connecticut Whale during the lockout before starting the regular season with the Rangers. Things got bumpy around Feb. 12 as he was sent back and forth due to Rick Nash‘s murky injury status; eventually he saw his last bit of NHL action on Feb. 26 against the Winnipeg Jets.
Simply put, Kreider’s numbers haven’t been there yet, with just a goal and an assist in 11 games after showing flashes of brilliance during his well-publicized NHL debut in the 2012 playoffs.
Again, the Rangers can use the boost, but it sounds like Tortorella is going to tread lightly when it comes to the development of prospects such as Kreider.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 6
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 33
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 28
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)