Mar 19, 2013, 4:45 PM EST
Kings coach Darryl Sutter doesn’t care that Drew Doughty hasn’t scored yet. Nor does he care that his top defenseman — the one with the eight-year, $56 million contract — has just 11 assists in 28 games. As long as Doughty is taking care of business in his own end and making a good first pass, Sutter will be happy.
The last thing the coach wants to see is Doughty trying to do it all himself.
“Well, if you do that all the time, you’re not a very good player,” said Sutter, per LA Kings Insider. “You’re Brian Campbell in Florida. You’ll be minus-20. And we’ll see you on the highlights, but you’re on a bad team, and you’re a high-minus player.”
Now, we’re not sure it’s fair to put Campbell’s minus-20 rating entirely on Campbell. If the Panthers got a few more saves from their goaltenders, things might be different in Florida.
The fact is, Doughty’s offensive totals have fallen each season since he racked up 59 points in 2009-10.
Points per game:
Some of that decline can no doubt be attributed to more defensively responsible play from the 23-year-old. As Sutter said today, “I can pick three or four mistakes out all year. Literally.”
Still, it’s clear Doughty feels he should be contributing more to the attack.
“There are times during games where he forces it where he doesn’t have to,” said Sutter. “It’s like I tell him, ‘Just beat one. You don’t have to beat five.’”
Despite Doughty’s modest stats, the Kings haven’t had any trouble scoring compared to the rest of the NHL. After last night’s 4-0 win over the Coyotes, L.A. ranks sixth in offense, averaging 3.0 goals per game.
Dec 9, 2013, 12:11 AM EST
The check didn’t result in a penalty.
Dec 8, 2013, 11:34 PM EST
Plus the Olympics, legal matters and more.
Dec 8, 2013, 10:58 PM EST
More bad injury breaks for Boston.
Dec 8, 2013, 10:39 PM EST
“It’s getting old,” Brad Richards said.
Dec 8, 2013, 10:10 PM EST
Todd McLellan wasn’t happy on Sunday.
Dec 8, 2013, 9:53 PM EST
Good news/bad news night for Chicago.
Dec 8, 2013, 9:22 PM EST
Is this a faux pas?
Dec 8, 2013, 8:16 PM EST
Dec 8, 2013, 7:24 PM EST
Punishment for Varlamov’s last start or reward for Jiggy’s win?
Dec 8, 2013, 7:13 PM EST
It resulted in a broken ankle.
Dec 8, 2013, 7:01 PM EST
He expects to bring “tons of energy.”
Dec 8, 2013, 6:50 PM EST
Claude Julien believes Brendan Shanahan faces a few tough calls.
Dec 8, 2013, 6:25 PM EST
Ryan Spooner and Matt Fraser are emergency recalls.
Dec 8, 2013, 5:45 PM EST
Dec 8, 2013, 5:32 PM EST
No back-to-back duty for Braden Holtby.
Dec 8, 2013, 5:16 PM EST
The team is unsure if he has a concussion.
Dec 8, 2013, 5:13 PM EST
He’s not even sure if he’s retiring, but even if he is, he doesn’t want the distraction.
Dec 8, 2013, 4:21 PM EST
Los Angeles has been great during his recovery process.
Dec 8, 2013, 3:34 PM EST
Mason might not get that much, but he’s certainly in line for a big raise.
Dec 8, 2013, 2:46 PM EST
His Boston Bruins will play there on Tuesday.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 13
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 76
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 4
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)