Mar 19, 2013, 4:45 PM EDT
Kings coach Darryl Sutter doesn’t care that Drew Doughty hasn’t scored yet. Nor does he care that his top defenseman — the one with the eight-year, $56 million contract — has just 11 assists in 28 games. As long as Doughty is taking care of business in his own end and making a good first pass, Sutter will be happy.
The last thing the coach wants to see is Doughty trying to do it all himself.
“Well, if you do that all the time, you’re not a very good player,” said Sutter, per LA Kings Insider. “You’re Brian Campbell in Florida. You’ll be minus-20. And we’ll see you on the highlights, but you’re on a bad team, and you’re a high-minus player.”
Now, we’re not sure it’s fair to put Campbell’s minus-20 rating entirely on Campbell. If the Panthers got a few more saves from their goaltenders, things might be different in Florida.
The fact is, Doughty’s offensive totals have fallen each season since he racked up 59 points in 2009-10.
Points per game:
Some of that decline can no doubt be attributed to more defensively responsible play from the 23-year-old. As Sutter said today, “I can pick three or four mistakes out all year. Literally.”
Still, it’s clear Doughty feels he should be contributing more to the attack.
“There are times during games where he forces it where he doesn’t have to,” said Sutter. “It’s like I tell him, ‘Just beat one. You don’t have to beat five.'”
Despite Doughty’s modest stats, the Kings haven’t had any trouble scoring compared to the rest of the NHL. After last night’s 4-0 win over the Coyotes, L.A. ranks sixth in offense, averaging 3.0 goals per game.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:57 AM EDT
His name is Kyle Dubas.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:40 AM EDT
Click for the full schedule of games on NBC and NBCSN.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:19 AM EDT
Had 14 goals and 15 assists, with 209 PIM, in 2013-14.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:01 AM EDT
Excited to join “the toughest team” the Leafs played last season,
Jul 22, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
They didn’t make any big splashes this summer.
Jul 22, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
That and all the links to start your day.
Jul 21, 2014, 10:45 PM EDT
He does know what the advanced stats say though.
Jul 21, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
More depth for a Stanley Cup hopeful.
Jul 21, 2014, 8:25 PM EDT
Trade rumors around the Jets star never stop swirling.
Jul 21, 2014, 7:20 PM EDT
Mike Johnston is going out of his way to know his players.
Jul 21, 2014, 6:04 PM EDT
But hasn’t been charged with a crime.
Jul 21, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
Edmonton’s 2014 first-round pick wants to stick around right away.
Jul 21, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT
He becomes an unrestricted free agent if he isn’t signed by Aug. 15.
Jul 21, 2014, 3:18 PM EDT
(He’s the tall one in the middle.)
Jul 21, 2014, 2:21 PM EDT
“That’s an exciting guy to watch.”
Jul 21, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
“There are many reasons, but I do not want to go into details,” she said in a statement.
Jul 21, 2014, 12:26 PM EDT
The Rangers countered with a two-year deal at $2.05M per.
Jul 21, 2014, 11:24 AM EDT
Avoiding arbitration in the process.
Jul 21, 2014, 11:06 AM EDT
Yeah, this one’s going to arbitration.
Jul 21, 2014, 10:16 AM EDT
“We are looking forward to having Vladimir in a Blues uniform when he returns to the NHL,” said GM Doug Armstrong.
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 2
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 12
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 0
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 53
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 51
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 54
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)