Mar 19, 2013, 4:45 PM EDT
Kings coach Darryl Sutter doesn’t care that Drew Doughty hasn’t scored yet. Nor does he care that his top defenseman — the one with the eight-year, $56 million contract — has just 11 assists in 28 games. As long as Doughty is taking care of business in his own end and making a good first pass, Sutter will be happy.
The last thing the coach wants to see is Doughty trying to do it all himself.
“Well, if you do that all the time, you’re not a very good player,” said Sutter, per LA Kings Insider. “You’re Brian Campbell in Florida. You’ll be minus-20. And we’ll see you on the highlights, but you’re on a bad team, and you’re a high-minus player.”
Now, we’re not sure it’s fair to put Campbell’s minus-20 rating entirely on Campbell. If the Panthers got a few more saves from their goaltenders, things might be different in Florida.
The fact is, Doughty’s offensive totals have fallen each season since he racked up 59 points in 2009-10.
Points per game:
Some of that decline can no doubt be attributed to more defensively responsible play from the 23-year-old. As Sutter said today, “I can pick three or four mistakes out all year. Literally.”
Still, it’s clear Doughty feels he should be contributing more to the attack.
“There are times during games where he forces it where he doesn’t have to,” said Sutter. “It’s like I tell him, ‘Just beat one. You don’t have to beat five.'”
Despite Doughty’s modest stats, the Kings haven’t had any trouble scoring compared to the rest of the NHL. After last night’s 4-0 win over the Coyotes, L.A. ranks sixth in offense, averaging 3.0 goals per game.
Jul 30, 2014, 11:28 AM EDT
After not giving him a qualifying offer.
Jul 30, 2014, 11:12 AM EDT
That’s Lacroix, when he was an assistant for Tampa Bay.
Jul 30, 2014, 10:44 AM EDT
Jim Hiller and Andrew Brewer join Tony Granato, who’s also new.
Jul 30, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Jul 30, 2014, 10:10 AM EDT
Will this all get settled before Friday’s hearing?
Jul 30, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Tell us how you really feel, Brad.
Jul 30, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Kings captain meets Rangers fan. Hi-jinx ensue.
Jul 29, 2014, 10:02 PM EDT
From 64 (mercurial) to 10 (gritty!)
Jul 29, 2014, 9:02 PM EDT
Now battling Bon Jovi and Donald Trump!
Jul 29, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
“This has been a difficult decision for Kevin.”
Jul 29, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT
After a year away from the game.
Jul 29, 2014, 6:04 PM EDT
Pretty nice pay bump for the 24-year-old rearguard.
Jul 29, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
6-foot-8, 250-pounder was a first-round pick in 2005.
Jul 29, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
Hall of Famer will work as an assistant under Ted Nolan.
Jul 29, 2014, 3:28 PM EDT
Fare thee well, Sammi.
Jul 29, 2014, 2:17 PM EDT
Low-risk signing, with good potential upside.
Jul 29, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT
“When you do have a little more responsibility, you want to take your lunch pail and get ready to work.”
Jul 29, 2014, 12:36 PM EDT
Had 13 goals and eight assists in 2013-14, his rookie season in the NHL.
Jul 29, 2014, 12:01 PM EDT
IIHF Disciplinary Board levies punishment for “very forceful check.”
Jul 29, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Was traded from Toronto on July 1.
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 16
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 24
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 16
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 30
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 43
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (43)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)