Mar 19, 2013, 2:54 PM EDT
As the level of panic continues to rise in Vancouver, the stumbling Canucks will at least get power forward Zack Kassian back in the lineup tonight when they host the St. Louis Blues.
Kassian has missed the last two games, both losses, with a sore back.
Granted, how much he can help is questionable, given the 22-year-old hasn’t scored in 19 games — a slump that began after kicking off the season with five goals in seven games.
Luongo didn’t fare particularly well in those starts, surrendering 13 goals in total. The veteran’s save percentage has since fallen all the way to .904 — not exactly the best-case scenario for general manager Mike Gillis, who’s been trying to trade Luongo for help in other areas, such as a third-line center.
Gillis, along with head coach Alain Vigneault, have been facing more and more criticism as the two-time defending Presidents’ Trophy winners have faltered. After last night’s home loss to the Wild, Vancouver sits two points behind Minnesota in the race for top spot in the Northwest Division.
The Blues, meanwhile, have won three straight.
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 11
- NHL postpones Blue Jackets-Stars game following Peverley’s collapse 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 11
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 20
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 28
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)