Mar 19, 2013, 12:50 PM EDT
“We felt if we did this now, it would give him a chance to be back,” Sens head coach Paul MacLean said. “There was some internal discussions for sure. And the best case was this.”
Michalek last played on March 8. The 28-year-old has two goals and eight assists in 15 games this season. He led Ottawa with 35 goals in 2011-12.
Despite injuries to Michalek, forward Jason Spezza, goalie Craig Anderson, and defenseman Erik Karlsson — arguably the four most important players on the team — Ottawa (15-8-6) is still very much in the playoff picture.
The Sens play the Islanders tonight in New York.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 11
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 33
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25