Mar 19, 2013, 10:08 PM EDT
Sometimes a groan-worthy cliche is the only thing that makes sense: the Ottawa Senators are just finding ways to win games.
The Senators were staring down a 3-1 deficit and the loss of another player (defenseman Marc Methot), yet Paul MacLean’s bunch stormed back with four third period goals to beat the New York Islanders 5-3 on Tuesday.
Perhaps it makes sense that a player many gave up on helped power the turnaround.
Sergei Gonchar has often been dismissed as over-the-hill, but he was the No. 1 star of tonight’s game, collecting the game-winning goal and two assists to help Ottawa continue its improbable run of resilience.
While the Islanders might seem like a cupcake, they were on the verge of going 6-1-2 in their last nine games before suffering this defeat.
This marks Ottawa’s third win in a row, leaving them comfortably in fifth place in the East with 38 standings points. After riding incredible goaltending most of this season, they’re now starting to light up the scoreboard with 13 goals during this three-game run.
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 7
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 17
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 10
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 52
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 21
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- HBT: Angels' Trout hits for cycle against Mariners