Mar 19, 2013, 10:08 PM EDT
Sometimes a groan-worthy cliche is the only thing that makes sense: the Ottawa Senators are just finding ways to win games.
The Senators were staring down a 3-1 deficit and the loss of another player (defenseman Marc Methot), yet Paul MacLean’s bunch stormed back with four third period goals to beat the New York Islanders 5-3 on Tuesday.
Perhaps it makes sense that a player many gave up on helped power the turnaround.
Sergei Gonchar has often been dismissed as over-the-hill, but he was the No. 1 star of tonight’s game, collecting the game-winning goal and two assists to help Ottawa continue its improbable run of resilience.
While the Islanders might seem like a cupcake, they were on the verge of going 6-1-2 in their last nine games before suffering this defeat.
This marks Ottawa’s third win in a row, leaving them comfortably in fifth place in the East with 38 standings points. After riding incredible goaltending most of this season, they’re now starting to light up the scoreboard with 13 goals during this three-game run.
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 1
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 3
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 10
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 34
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)