Mar 19, 2013, 12:19 PM EDT
(Update: Laich will indeed play.)
Laich has been sidelined with a groin injury that he suffered in November while playing in Europe during the lockout.
While the 29-year-old will likely be eased back into action, his return is good news for the Caps, who are entering what captain Alex Ovechkin has called their “biggest week.”
Washington plays the red-hot Penguins tonight, then has back-to-back games Thursday and Friday in Winnipeg, and finishes the trip Sunday at Madison Square Garden against the Rangers.
“You know what? It’s our season right now,” Capitals coach Adam Oates said. “We’ve got to win games. We talked collectively as a group that we’ve got to show up for work every night. They’re tough games and we need them.”
UPDATE: To make room for Laich on the active roster, the Caps have put defenseman Tom Poti (back) on IR.
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 16
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 46
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 16
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 44
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 21
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39