Mar 19, 2013, 12:19 PM EDT
(Update: Laich will indeed play.)
Laich has been sidelined with a groin injury that he suffered in November while playing in Europe during the lockout.
While the 29-year-old will likely be eased back into action, his return is good news for the Caps, who are entering what captain Alex Ovechkin has called their “biggest week.”
Washington plays the red-hot Penguins tonight, then has back-to-back games Thursday and Friday in Winnipeg, and finishes the trip Sunday at Madison Square Garden against the Rangers.
“You know what? It’s our season right now,” Capitals coach Adam Oates said. “We’ve got to win games. We talked collectively as a group that we’ve got to show up for work every night. They’re tough games and we need them.”
UPDATE: To make room for Laich on the active roster, the Caps have put defenseman Tom Poti (back) on IR.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 15
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 37
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)