Mar 19, 2013, 12:07 PM EST
The Dallas Stars have brought up goalie Jack Campbell from AHL Texas, the club announced on Tuesday.
Campbell, 21, was Dallas’ first-round pick (11th overall) at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft and is widely regarded as the club’s goalie of the future.
He made his mark at the World Junior tournament, representing Team USA three times while winning gold in 2010 and bronze in 2011 (Campbell also won best goalie and was named to the tournament All-Star team in 2011.)
This year — his first full season in the American League — Campbell’s appeared 32 games, posting a 14-10-3 record with a .906 save percentage and 2.59 GAA.
To clear room, the Stars have sent backup netminder Richard Bachman to Texas.
It’ll be interesting to see what Campbell’s presence does to Dallas’ goaltending situation.
Stars GM Joe Nieuwendyk signed starter Kari Lehtonen to a five-year, $29.5 million extension just prior to the lockout, a deal that kicks in next season and includes a no-trade clause through 2015.
Lehtonen, 29, has been good this year — 10-6-2, 2.46 GAA, .918 save percentage — but has been plagued by groin issues that have been constant throughout his career. In early February, he was placed on IR with a groin injury and proceeded to miss five games.
It’s possible Campbell could see some action pretty quick. Dallas plays four games in five nights — Wednesday in Colorado, Thursday in LA, Saturday at home vs. Colorado, Monday at home vs. Minnesota — and could look to give Lehtonen a breather.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (120)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)