Mar 19, 2013, 12:07 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars have brought up goalie Jack Campbell from AHL Texas, the club announced on Tuesday.
Campbell, 21, was Dallas’ first-round pick (11th overall) at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft and is widely regarded as the club’s goalie of the future.
He made his mark at the World Junior tournament, representing Team USA three times while winning gold in 2010 and bronze in 2011 (Campbell also won best goalie and was named to the tournament All-Star team in 2011.)
This year — his first full season in the American League — Campbell’s appeared 32 games, posting a 14-10-3 record with a .906 save percentage and 2.59 GAA.
To clear room, the Stars have sent backup netminder Richard Bachman to Texas.
It’ll be interesting to see what Campbell’s presence does to Dallas’ goaltending situation.
Stars GM Joe Nieuwendyk signed starter Kari Lehtonen to a five-year, $29.5 million extension just prior to the lockout, a deal that kicks in next season and includes a no-trade clause through 2015.
Lehtonen, 29, has been good this year — 10-6-2, 2.46 GAA, .918 save percentage — but has been plagued by groin issues that have been constant throughout his career. In early February, he was placed on IR with a groin injury and proceeded to miss five games.
It’s possible Campbell could see some action pretty quick. Dallas plays four games in five nights — Wednesday in Colorado, Thursday in LA, Saturday at home vs. Colorado, Monday at home vs. Minnesota — and could look to give Lehtonen a breather.
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 2
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 16
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 4
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 13
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 2
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 34
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 16
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)