Mar 19, 2013, 12:07 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars have brought up goalie Jack Campbell from AHL Texas, the club announced on Tuesday.
Campbell, 21, was Dallas’ first-round pick (11th overall) at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft and is widely regarded as the club’s goalie of the future.
He made his mark at the World Junior tournament, representing Team USA three times while winning gold in 2010 and bronze in 2011 (Campbell also won best goalie and was named to the tournament All-Star team in 2011.)
This year — his first full season in the American League — Campbell’s appeared 32 games, posting a 14-10-3 record with a .906 save percentage and 2.59 GAA.
To clear room, the Stars have sent backup netminder Richard Bachman to Texas.
It’ll be interesting to see what Campbell’s presence does to Dallas’ goaltending situation.
Stars GM Joe Nieuwendyk signed starter Kari Lehtonen to a five-year, $29.5 million extension just prior to the lockout, a deal that kicks in next season and includes a no-trade clause through 2015.
Lehtonen, 29, has been good this year — 10-6-2, 2.46 GAA, .918 save percentage — but has been plagued by groin issues that have been constant throughout his career. In early February, he was placed on IR with a groin injury and proceeded to miss five games.
It’s possible Campbell could see some action pretty quick. Dallas plays four games in five nights — Wednesday in Colorado, Thursday in LA, Saturday at home vs. Colorado, Monday at home vs. Minnesota — and could look to give Lehtonen a breather.
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 6
- WATCH LIVE: Washington Capitals at Pittsburgh Penguins 2
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 13
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 54
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (68)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)