Mar 19, 2013, 12:07 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars have brought up goalie Jack Campbell from AHL Texas, the club announced on Tuesday.
Campbell, 21, was Dallas’ first-round pick (11th overall) at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft and is widely regarded as the club’s goalie of the future.
He made his mark at the World Junior tournament, representing Team USA three times while winning gold in 2010 and bronze in 2011 (Campbell also won best goalie and was named to the tournament All-Star team in 2011.)
This year — his first full season in the American League — Campbell’s appeared 32 games, posting a 14-10-3 record with a .906 save percentage and 2.59 GAA.
To clear room, the Stars have sent backup netminder Richard Bachman to Texas.
It’ll be interesting to see what Campbell’s presence does to Dallas’ goaltending situation.
Stars GM Joe Nieuwendyk signed starter Kari Lehtonen to a five-year, $29.5 million extension just prior to the lockout, a deal that kicks in next season and includes a no-trade clause through 2015.
Lehtonen, 29, has been good this year — 10-6-2, 2.46 GAA, .918 save percentage — but has been plagued by groin issues that have been constant throughout his career. In early February, he was placed on IR with a groin injury and proceeded to miss five games.
It’s possible Campbell could see some action pretty quick. Dallas plays four games in five nights — Wednesday in Colorado, Thursday in LA, Saturday at home vs. Colorado, Monday at home vs. Minnesota — and could look to give Lehtonen a breather.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 17
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 9
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54