Mar 19, 2013, 12:07 PM EST
The Dallas Stars have brought up goalie Jack Campbell from AHL Texas, the club announced on Tuesday.
Campbell, 21, was Dallas’ first-round pick (11th overall) at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft and is widely regarded as the club’s goalie of the future.
He made his mark at the World Junior tournament, representing Team USA three times while winning gold in 2010 and bronze in 2011 (Campbell also won best goalie and was named to the tournament All-Star team in 2011.)
This year — his first full season in the American League — Campbell’s appeared 32 games, posting a 14-10-3 record with a .906 save percentage and 2.59 GAA.
To clear room, the Stars have sent backup netminder Richard Bachman to Texas.
It’ll be interesting to see what Campbell’s presence does to Dallas’ goaltending situation.
Stars GM Joe Nieuwendyk signed starter Kari Lehtonen to a five-year, $29.5 million extension just prior to the lockout, a deal that kicks in next season and includes a no-trade clause through 2015.
Lehtonen, 29, has been good this year — 10-6-2, 2.46 GAA, .918 save percentage — but has been plagued by groin issues that have been constant throughout his career. In early February, he was placed on IR with a groin injury and proceeded to miss five games.
It’s possible Campbell could see some action pretty quick. Dallas plays four games in five nights — Wednesday in Colorado, Thursday in LA, Saturday at home vs. Colorado, Monday at home vs. Minnesota — and could look to give Lehtonen a breather.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)