Mar 19, 2013, 9:55 AM EDT
Early in the original Winnipeg Jets days as an NHL franchise, they once posted a 9-57-14 record and yet, in the 33-year history of the Winnipeg Jets/Phoenix Coyotes, they have never endured a goal scoring drought like this one.
The Coyotes have gone an incredible 185:10 minutes without a goal. They’ve been shutout in three straight contests — and four consecutive road games dating back to Feb. 6.
“Nobody wants to go three games without a goal, but it happens and you’ve got to find ways to get through it,” Coyotes captain Shane Doan said, according to the Arizona Republic. “We felt we had some opportunities in the second and third periods. We had a power play that I missed the net on with a one-timer.
“When you’re put out there to score goals and you miss an opportunity like that, that’s a mistake. And we can’t have those. I made it, and it’s been happening too often. It would be nice to get a lucky one, but you have to create your own luck.”
After enduring this streak, Coyotes coach Dave Tippett showed remarkable restraint in a post-game interview.
“It’s no time to get down now,” Tippett said. “We got to keep pushing forward and we got to find some people to get the job done for us.”
The Coyotes three game losing streak has put them in a tie with the San Jose Sharks for the eighth seed in the Western Conference, although the Coyotes have played in one more game.
Their latest setback came at the hands of goaltender Jonathan Quick and the Los Angeles Kings. They’ll have to play them again tonight before heading home to face the Vancouver Canucks on Thursday.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)