Mar 19, 2013, 9:55 AM EST
Early in the original Winnipeg Jets days as an NHL franchise, they once posted a 9-57-14 record and yet, in the 33-year history of the Winnipeg Jets/Phoenix Coyotes, they have never endured a goal scoring drought like this one.
The Coyotes have gone an incredible 185:10 minutes without a goal. They’ve been shutout in three straight contests — and four consecutive road games dating back to Feb. 6.
“Nobody wants to go three games without a goal, but it happens and you’ve got to find ways to get through it,” Coyotes captain Shane Doan said, according to the Arizona Republic. “We felt we had some opportunities in the second and third periods. We had a power play that I missed the net on with a one-timer.
“When you’re put out there to score goals and you miss an opportunity like that, that’s a mistake. And we can’t have those. I made it, and it’s been happening too often. It would be nice to get a lucky one, but you have to create your own luck.”
After enduring this streak, Coyotes coach Dave Tippett showed remarkable restraint in a post-game interview.
“It’s no time to get down now,” Tippett said. “We got to keep pushing forward and we got to find some people to get the job done for us.”
The Coyotes three game losing streak has put them in a tie with the San Jose Sharks for the eighth seed in the Western Conference, although the Coyotes have played in one more game.
Their latest setback came at the hands of goaltender Jonathan Quick and the Los Angeles Kings. They’ll have to play them again tonight before heading home to face the Vancouver Canucks on Thursday.
- Luongo leaves game, Panthers nearly run out of goalies 1
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 47
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 22
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)