Mar 19, 2013, 11:02 PM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets might not have the best streak of the 2013 season, but it’s likely the least expected.
The increasingly scrappy bunch held off a desperate Nashville Predators squad to win 4-3 on Tuesday, improving their point streak to 11 games (7-0-4).
That run suddenly thrusts the Blue Jackets into the thick of things. They’re now ranked 10th in the West with 30 points in 30 games played. The eight-place San Jose Sharks and ninth-place Phoenix Coyotes* have 30 points with less games played, but it’s impressive that the Blue Jackets are this close.
Tuesday’s game felt like a reversal of fortune in many ways. While Columbus keeps scrapping out points by a small margin of error, the Predators look hapless on an ugly four-game losing streak. Nashville is also 4-10-1 since Feb. 16, with its vaunted defense faltering dramatically in recent games.
We’ll see if these trends continue, but for one night, it looked like two teams on opposite paths.
* – Coyotes game in progress.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)