Mar 19, 2013, 11:02 PM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets might not have the best streak of the 2013 season, but it’s likely the least expected.
The increasingly scrappy bunch held off a desperate Nashville Predators squad to win 4-3 on Tuesday, improving their point streak to 11 games (7-0-4).
That run suddenly thrusts the Blue Jackets into the thick of things. They’re now ranked 10th in the West with 30 points in 30 games played. The eight-place San Jose Sharks and ninth-place Phoenix Coyotes* have 30 points with less games played, but it’s impressive that the Blue Jackets are this close.
Tuesday’s game felt like a reversal of fortune in many ways. While Columbus keeps scrapping out points by a small margin of error, the Predators look hapless on an ugly four-game losing streak. Nashville is also 4-10-1 since Feb. 16, with its vaunted defense faltering dramatically in recent games.
We’ll see if these trends continue, but for one night, it looked like two teams on opposite paths.
* – Coyotes game in progress.
- It’s Toronto Maple Leafs Day at PHT 0
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 19
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 40
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 35
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 30
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (40)