Mar 19, 2013, 11:02 PM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets might not have the best streak of the 2013 season, but it’s likely the least expected.
The increasingly scrappy bunch held off a desperate Nashville Predators squad to win 4-3 on Tuesday, improving their point streak to 11 games (7-0-4).
That run suddenly thrusts the Blue Jackets into the thick of things. They’re now ranked 10th in the West with 30 points in 30 games played. The eight-place San Jose Sharks and ninth-place Phoenix Coyotes* have 30 points with less games played, but it’s impressive that the Blue Jackets are this close.
Tuesday’s game felt like a reversal of fortune in many ways. While Columbus keeps scrapping out points by a small margin of error, the Predators look hapless on an ugly four-game losing streak. Nashville is also 4-10-1 since Feb. 16, with its vaunted defense faltering dramatically in recent games.
We’ll see if these trends continue, but for one night, it looked like two teams on opposite paths.
* – Coyotes game in progress.
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 12
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 21
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 58
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (94)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)