Mar 19, 2013, 11:56 PM EST
Experienced hockey fans probably have mixed emotions when they see high-quality players get in fights. While it’s refreshing to see people other than “goons” drop the gloves, there’s that added tension that comes with the potential for injury.
Vancouver Canucks fans were on the wrong end of that equation on Tuesday night. Zack Kassian aggravated a back injury during tonight’s game against the St. Louis Blues and won’t return.
That fight had its goofy moments, but it won’t be much of a laughing matter if the Canucks lose another important player to injury. Especially since this one may very well have been avoided.
Still, the Getty Images photo of the fight is pretty outstanding:
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)