Mar 19, 2013, 3:22 PM EDT
Ryan Spooner’s second career NHL game will be one to remember.
The 21-year-old center will line up Tuesday night between wingers Milan Lucic and Nathan Horton, replacing the injured David Krejci (knee) in what amounts to his biggest opportunity at the NHL level to date.
“We’re giving him an opportunity to be a real good centerman playing between some really good players,” Boston head coach Claude Julien told CSNNE.com. “He’s a great play-maker, so it’s a great chance for Spoons to take and we’ll see how it works out.”
Spooner, Boston’s second-round pick (45th overall) at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, is having a stellar season with AHL Providence, leading the team in points (45) and assists (33).
He’ll get a chance to reprise that offensive role with the Bruins. Horton sits third on the team in goals, with eight, while Lucic sits third on the team in assists, with 13.
Spooner made his NHL debut back on Feb. 6 — a 2-1 win over Montreal — but played sparingly, getting just eight shifts for 5:29 of ice time. He only played two shifts in the second period and just one in the third (which was a mere 29 seconds long).
Julien wasn’t promising much more than an opportunity for Spooner this time around, and said he wasn’t married to keeping the former OHL scoring sensation with Lucic and Horton all night.
That said, expectations are high.
“If it’s not working out then we can make some changes,” Julien said. “But we’ve seen him enough to think he’ll be a good fit there.”
Mar 11, 2014, 2:26 AM EDT
It was mostly a night of disappointments
Mar 11, 2014, 1:15 AM EDT
“We need to be men.”
Mar 11, 2014, 12:39 AM EDT
It just keeps getting worse.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:29 AM EDT
It’s an MCL injury, according to Patrick Roy.
Mar 10, 2014, 11:29 PM EDT
It’s also his first point since Jan. 10.
Mar 10, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT
At least they have Ales Hemsky.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:57 PM EDT
The Stars say he’ll undergo extensive testing.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:44 PM EDT
Washington carried much of the play.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:29 PM EDT
Both teams have games on Tuesday.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:08 PM EDT
Lindy Ruff says he’s OK.
Mar 10, 2014, 8:09 PM EDT
Mar 10, 2014, 7:55 PM EDT
He was last seen at practice in Saginaw, Mich.
Mar 10, 2014, 6:38 PM EDT
Nathan MacKinnon slides into his center spot vs. Winnipeg.
Mar 10, 2014, 5:26 PM EDT
Canucks GM pens letter to ticket holders.
Mar 10, 2014, 5:14 PM EDT
Click for a video explanation.
Mar 10, 2014, 4:33 PM EDT
All the latest from the blue paint…
Mar 10, 2014, 4:14 PM EDT
Dallas seems to be a good fit for the 22-year-old former Bruin.
Mar 10, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
“We have to keep scoring goals. We have to keep playing this way,” said Adam Henrique.
Mar 10, 2014, 2:56 PM EDT
He meant he doesn’t want to be traded.
Mar 10, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
Fire up the comments section!
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 4
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)