Mar 19, 2013, 12:25 PM EST
Martin Brodeur will return to the New Jersey lineup tonight — in a reserve role.
The 4o-year-old ‘tender will back up Johan Hedberg as the Devils take on the Rangers in New Jersey, the first time Brodeur will be on the active roster since suffering a pinched nerve on Feb. 23.
After missing 12 games, Brodeur now feels healthy enough to return in a backup role.
“I’ve been given the OK and that’s the way we’re going now,” he told NHL.com after participating in his second consecutive practice on Tuesday. “It’s been fun the last two days being in the room and knowing what’s going on a little bit.
“When you’re injured, you’re always on the side doing your own thing, so it’s nice to be back.”
Brodeur said he expects to be back starting on Thursday when the Devils travel to Carolina to take on the Hurricanes.
The team has struggled with Brodeur out of the lineup, posting a 3-7-2 mark over the last 12 games — a far cry from the red-hot 10-3-4 mark it posted to start the season.
Brodeur is 8-2-3 this year with a 2.27 goals-against average, .911 save percentage and one shutout.
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 27
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 3
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 57
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)