Mar 19, 2013, 12:25 PM EDT
Martin Brodeur will return to the New Jersey lineup tonight — in a reserve role.
The 4o-year-old ‘tender will back up Johan Hedberg as the Devils take on the Rangers in New Jersey, the first time Brodeur will be on the active roster since suffering a pinched nerve on Feb. 23.
After missing 12 games, Brodeur now feels healthy enough to return in a backup role.
“I’ve been given the OK and that’s the way we’re going now,” he told NHL.com after participating in his second consecutive practice on Tuesday. “It’s been fun the last two days being in the room and knowing what’s going on a little bit.
“When you’re injured, you’re always on the side doing your own thing, so it’s nice to be back.”
Brodeur said he expects to be back starting on Thursday when the Devils travel to Carolina to take on the Hurricanes.
The team has struggled with Brodeur out of the lineup, posting a 3-7-2 mark over the last 12 games — a far cry from the red-hot 10-3-4 mark it posted to start the season.
Brodeur is 8-2-3 this year with a 2.27 goals-against average, .911 save percentage and one shutout.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)