Mar 19, 2013, 12:25 PM EDT
Martin Brodeur will return to the New Jersey lineup tonight — in a reserve role.
The 4o-year-old ‘tender will back up Johan Hedberg as the Devils take on the Rangers in New Jersey, the first time Brodeur will be on the active roster since suffering a pinched nerve on Feb. 23.
After missing 12 games, Brodeur now feels healthy enough to return in a backup role.
“I’ve been given the OK and that’s the way we’re going now,” he told NHL.com after participating in his second consecutive practice on Tuesday. “It’s been fun the last two days being in the room and knowing what’s going on a little bit.
“When you’re injured, you’re always on the side doing your own thing, so it’s nice to be back.”
Brodeur said he expects to be back starting on Thursday when the Devils travel to Carolina to take on the Hurricanes.
The team has struggled with Brodeur out of the lineup, posting a 3-7-2 mark over the last 12 games — a far cry from the red-hot 10-3-4 mark it posted to start the season.
Brodeur is 8-2-3 this year with a 2.27 goals-against average, .911 save percentage and one shutout.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)