Mar 19, 2013, 12:25 PM EDT
Martin Brodeur will return to the New Jersey lineup tonight — in a reserve role.
The 4o-year-old ‘tender will back up Johan Hedberg as the Devils take on the Rangers in New Jersey, the first time Brodeur will be on the active roster since suffering a pinched nerve on Feb. 23.
After missing 12 games, Brodeur now feels healthy enough to return in a backup role.
“I’ve been given the OK and that’s the way we’re going now,” he told NHL.com after participating in his second consecutive practice on Tuesday. “It’s been fun the last two days being in the room and knowing what’s going on a little bit.
“When you’re injured, you’re always on the side doing your own thing, so it’s nice to be back.”
Brodeur said he expects to be back starting on Thursday when the Devils travel to Carolina to take on the Hurricanes.
The team has struggled with Brodeur out of the lineup, posting a 3-7-2 mark over the last 12 games — a far cry from the red-hot 10-3-4 mark it posted to start the season.
Brodeur is 8-2-3 this year with a 2.27 goals-against average, .911 save percentage and one shutout.
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 4
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)