Mar 18, 2013, 10:30 PM EDT
The 23-year-old hit that plateau with an empty-netter to ice the Tampa Bay Lightning’s 4-2 win against the Philadelphia Flyers on Monday.
The accomplishment makes sense since Stamkos has been a constant for a team that’s struggled significantly the past two seasons; in this case, it provided a silver lining amid worries about Victor Hedman and Ryan Malone‘s injuries.
Here are a few fun facts regarding Stamkos’ goal-scoring prowess:
- The Lightning point out that only three players have reached 200 at a younger age: Wayne Gretzky (21 years, 256 days), Mario Lemieux (22 years, 148 days) and Dale Hawerchuk (22 years, 266 days). Stamkos is 41 days into his 23rd year, by the way.
- Stamkos reached that mark in just 354 games, which means he averages more than a goal every other game.
- Speaking of that 354-game mark, ESPN’s John Buccigross reports that only two active players required fewer games to hit 200: Alex Ovechkin (296 games) and Teemu Selanne (322).
Here are highlights from the game.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 61
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)