Mar 18, 2013, 10:30 PM EDT
The 23-year-old hit that plateau with an empty-netter to ice the Tampa Bay Lightning’s 4-2 win against the Philadelphia Flyers on Monday.
The accomplishment makes sense since Stamkos has been a constant for a team that’s struggled significantly the past two seasons; in this case, it provided a silver lining amid worries about Victor Hedman and Ryan Malone‘s injuries.
Here are a few fun facts regarding Stamkos’ goal-scoring prowess:
- The Lightning point out that only three players have reached 200 at a younger age: Wayne Gretzky (21 years, 256 days), Mario Lemieux (22 years, 148 days) and Dale Hawerchuk (22 years, 266 days). Stamkos is 41 days into his 23rd year, by the way.
- Stamkos reached that mark in just 354 games, which means he averages more than a goal every other game.
- Speaking of that 354-game mark, ESPN’s John Buccigross reports that only two active players required fewer games to hit 200: Alex Ovechkin (296 games) and Teemu Selanne (322).
Here are highlights from the game.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 5
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)