Mar 18, 2013, 10:30 PM EDT
The 23-year-old hit that plateau with an empty-netter to ice the Tampa Bay Lightning’s 4-2 win against the Philadelphia Flyers on Monday.
The accomplishment makes sense since Stamkos has been a constant for a team that’s struggled significantly the past two seasons; in this case, it provided a silver lining amid worries about Victor Hedman and Ryan Malone‘s injuries.
Here are a few fun facts regarding Stamkos’ goal-scoring prowess:
- The Lightning point out that only three players have reached 200 at a younger age: Wayne Gretzky (21 years, 256 days), Mario Lemieux (22 years, 148 days) and Dale Hawerchuk (22 years, 266 days). Stamkos is 41 days into his 23rd year, by the way.
- Stamkos reached that mark in just 354 games, which means he averages more than a goal every other game.
- Speaking of that 354-game mark, ESPN’s John Buccigross reports that only two active players required fewer games to hit 200: Alex Ovechkin (296 games) and Teemu Selanne (322).
Here are highlights from the game.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Without Shea Weber, Predators can’t contain Hawks in Game 3 8
- Video: Tavares, Islanders take 2-1 series lead with OT win 19
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 5
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 13
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 84
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 70
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 167
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (167)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (84)