Mar 18, 2013, 7:55 PM EDT
Perhaps Martin Havlat will come to the rescue for the struggling San Jose Sharks.
The injury-prone winger was activated from the injured reserve after suffering a lower-body injury according to David Pollak of the Mercury News. Meanwhile, young forward Tim Kennedy went on the IR with an undisclosed injury.
There was a time when Havlat, 31, would actually have a solid chance to turn the Sharks’ fortunes around – their coach is fuming and their GM is allegedly in “panic mode,” after all – but things just haven’t worked out well for the slick Czech since he was traded to San Jose from Minnesota.
His 27 points were acceptable last season considering the fact that he only played in 39 games. He’s been in the lineup a bit more often this season, yet he only has six points to show for his 20 appearances.
For much of his career, Havlat’s been like Ales Hemsky: a talented player who just can’t stay healthy enough to approach the league’s elite.
The Sharks’ top-heavy offense could use some support, so if nothing else, there’s a chance he could help.
(If he can stay on the ice, that is.)
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)