Mar 18, 2013, 7:55 PM EDT
Perhaps Martin Havlat will come to the rescue for the struggling San Jose Sharks.
The injury-prone winger was activated from the injured reserve after suffering a lower-body injury according to David Pollak of the Mercury News. Meanwhile, young forward Tim Kennedy went on the IR with an undisclosed injury.
There was a time when Havlat, 31, would actually have a solid chance to turn the Sharks’ fortunes around – their coach is fuming and their GM is allegedly in “panic mode,” after all – but things just haven’t worked out well for the slick Czech since he was traded to San Jose from Minnesota.
His 27 points were acceptable last season considering the fact that he only played in 39 games. He’s been in the lineup a bit more often this season, yet he only has six points to show for his 20 appearances.
For much of his career, Havlat’s been like Ales Hemsky: a talented player who just can’t stay healthy enough to approach the league’s elite.
The Sharks’ top-heavy offense could use some support, so if nothing else, there’s a chance he could help.
(If he can stay on the ice, that is.)
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 7
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 12
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 22
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)