Mar 18, 2013, 7:55 PM EDT
Perhaps Martin Havlat will come to the rescue for the struggling San Jose Sharks.
The injury-prone winger was activated from the injured reserve after suffering a lower-body injury according to David Pollak of the Mercury News. Meanwhile, young forward Tim Kennedy went on the IR with an undisclosed injury.
There was a time when Havlat, 31, would actually have a solid chance to turn the Sharks’ fortunes around – their coach is fuming and their GM is allegedly in “panic mode,” after all – but things just haven’t worked out well for the slick Czech since he was traded to San Jose from Minnesota.
His 27 points were acceptable last season considering the fact that he only played in 39 games. He’s been in the lineup a bit more often this season, yet he only has six points to show for his 20 appearances.
For much of his career, Havlat’s been like Ales Hemsky: a talented player who just can’t stay healthy enough to approach the league’s elite.
The Sharks’ top-heavy offense could use some support, so if nothing else, there’s a chance he could help.
(If he can stay on the ice, that is.)
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 15
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 18
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 69
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 91
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)