Mar 18, 2013, 7:55 PM EDT
Perhaps Martin Havlat will come to the rescue for the struggling San Jose Sharks.
The injury-prone winger was activated from the injured reserve after suffering a lower-body injury according to David Pollak of the Mercury News. Meanwhile, young forward Tim Kennedy went on the IR with an undisclosed injury.
There was a time when Havlat, 31, would actually have a solid chance to turn the Sharks’ fortunes around – their coach is fuming and their GM is allegedly in “panic mode,” after all – but things just haven’t worked out well for the slick Czech since he was traded to San Jose from Minnesota.
His 27 points were acceptable last season considering the fact that he only played in 39 games. He’s been in the lineup a bit more often this season, yet he only has six points to show for his 20 appearances.
For much of his career, Havlat’s been like Ales Hemsky: a talented player who just can’t stay healthy enough to approach the league’s elite.
The Sharks’ top-heavy offense could use some support, so if nothing else, there’s a chance he could help.
(If he can stay on the ice, that is.)
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 6
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)