Mar 18, 2013, 7:55 PM EDT
Perhaps Martin Havlat will come to the rescue for the struggling San Jose Sharks.
The injury-prone winger was activated from the injured reserve after suffering a lower-body injury according to David Pollak of the Mercury News. Meanwhile, young forward Tim Kennedy went on the IR with an undisclosed injury.
There was a time when Havlat, 31, would actually have a solid chance to turn the Sharks’ fortunes around – their coach is fuming and their GM is allegedly in “panic mode,” after all – but things just haven’t worked out well for the slick Czech since he was traded to San Jose from Minnesota.
His 27 points were acceptable last season considering the fact that he only played in 39 games. He’s been in the lineup a bit more often this season, yet he only has six points to show for his 20 appearances.
For much of his career, Havlat’s been like Ales Hemsky: a talented player who just can’t stay healthy enough to approach the league’s elite.
The Sharks’ top-heavy offense could use some support, so if nothing else, there’s a chance he could help.
(If he can stay on the ice, that is.)
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)