Mar 18, 2013, 2:14 PM EDT
A surprise in some ways, not so much in others — Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo will start tonight at home against the Wild in the biggest game of the season for both teams.
It’s a surprise decision from head coach Alain Vigneault in that Luongo has surrendered nine goals in his last two starts, including five on 26 shots in Saturday’s 5-2 loss to the Red Wings.
Meanwhile, Vancouver’s other goalie, Cory Schneider, hasn’t played since March 10 in a 4-2 loss at Minnesota.
Vigneault’s decision isn’t surprising in that Luongo has played very well against the Wild recently. Courtesy TSN’s Farhan Lalji, the 33-year-old is 10-0-1 with a .949 save percentage in his last 11 home starts versus Minnesota.
The Canucks and Wild are tied in the standings with 32 points; however, the Wild have the tie-breaker for first place in the Northwest Division based on regulation/overtime wins.
“This is a big game for us,” said Luongo. “We’re all aware of what the standings are like.”
Regardless of what happens tonight, it shouldn’t be long before Schneider plays again, as the Canucks have nine games in the next 15 days.
Vancouver hosts St. Louis tomorrow.
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 14
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 31
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)