Mar 18, 2013, 2:14 PM EDT
A surprise in some ways, not so much in others — Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo will start tonight at home against the Wild in the biggest game of the season for both teams.
It’s a surprise decision from head coach Alain Vigneault in that Luongo has surrendered nine goals in his last two starts, including five on 26 shots in Saturday’s 5-2 loss to the Red Wings.
Meanwhile, Vancouver’s other goalie, Cory Schneider, hasn’t played since March 10 in a 4-2 loss at Minnesota.
Vigneault’s decision isn’t surprising in that Luongo has played very well against the Wild recently. Courtesy TSN’s Farhan Lalji, the 33-year-old is 10-0-1 with a .949 save percentage in his last 11 home starts versus Minnesota.
The Canucks and Wild are tied in the standings with 32 points; however, the Wild have the tie-breaker for first place in the Northwest Division based on regulation/overtime wins.
“This is a big game for us,” said Luongo. “We’re all aware of what the standings are like.”
Regardless of what happens tonight, it shouldn’t be long before Schneider plays again, as the Canucks have nine games in the next 15 days.
Vancouver hosts St. Louis tomorrow.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)