Mar 18, 2013, 9:56 PM EDT
Whether the Tampa Bay Lightning beat the Philadelphia Flyers or not, Monday’s game could be costly for the bumbling Bolts.
Crucial defenseman Victor Hedman appeared to hurt his wrist after being hit by Flyers tough guy Zac Rinaldo in the second period. Tampa Tribune reporter Erik Erlendsson points out that he hasn’t been back on the ice since.
There’s no word from the Lightning about the severity of his issue, including whether it’s actually a wrist injury.
Losing Hedman, 22, for a substantial amount of time would be a harsh blow for the Lightning. The second overall pick of the 2009 draft is really coming into his own, averaging just under 23 minutes per night while scoring 13 points in 28 games.
It’s possible that Rinaldo, 22, also injured Ryan Malone. NBC’s Brian Engblom believes he might have delivered a high hit on the rugged 33-year-old, who’s been struggling with injuries for much of this season.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (86)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)