Mar 18, 2013, 9:56 PM EDT
Whether the Tampa Bay Lightning beat the Philadelphia Flyers or not, Monday’s game could be costly for the bumbling Bolts.
Crucial defenseman Victor Hedman appeared to hurt his wrist after being hit by Flyers tough guy Zac Rinaldo in the second period. Tampa Tribune reporter Erik Erlendsson points out that he hasn’t been back on the ice since.
There’s no word from the Lightning about the severity of his issue, including whether it’s actually a wrist injury.
Losing Hedman, 22, for a substantial amount of time would be a harsh blow for the Lightning. The second overall pick of the 2009 draft is really coming into his own, averaging just under 23 minutes per night while scoring 13 points in 28 games.
It’s possible that Rinaldo, 22, also injured Ryan Malone. NBC’s Brian Engblom believes he might have delivered a high hit on the rugged 33-year-old, who’s been struggling with injuries for much of this season.
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 0
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 7
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 7
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 17
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Panthers’ playoff hopes take massive blow vs. Lightning 8
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Asst. GM Guerin admits Penguins need to lay off the refs (51)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)