Mar 18, 2013, 9:56 PM EST
Whether the Tampa Bay Lightning beat the Philadelphia Flyers or not, Monday’s game could be costly for the bumbling Bolts.
Crucial defenseman Victor Hedman appeared to hurt his wrist after being hit by Flyers tough guy Zac Rinaldo in the second period. Tampa Tribune reporter Erik Erlendsson points out that he hasn’t been back on the ice since.
There’s no word from the Lightning about the severity of his issue, including whether it’s actually a wrist injury.
Losing Hedman, 22, for a substantial amount of time would be a harsh blow for the Lightning. The second overall pick of the 2009 draft is really coming into his own, averaging just under 23 minutes per night while scoring 13 points in 28 games.
It’s possible that Rinaldo, 22, also injured Ryan Malone. NBC’s Brian Engblom believes he might have delivered a high hit on the rugged 33-year-old, who’s been struggling with injuries for much of this season.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 33
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 113
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (115)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)