Mar 18, 2013, 1:29 AM EST
Toronto Maple Leafs prospect Morgan Rielly, a smooth skating defenseman in the Western Hockey League, is on his way to the American Hockey League.
Rielly will join the Toronto Marlies, the Maple Leafs’ AHL affiliate, Wednesday, according to the Moose Jaw Times Herald
“Any time I’ve gone to Toronto they’ve always told me that they drafted me for a reason — it’s because of what I am able do with the puck. That’s what they ask me to do,” Rielly told the Moose Jaw Times Herald.
“I want to play hard every night and try to get better.”
Rielly, who turned 19 earlier this month, had 12 goals and 54 points during the regular season with the Moose Jaw Warriors.
The Warriors failed to make the WHL playoffs by 11 points, allowing Rielly the opportunity to get called up for the Marlies.
Rielly, a product of Wes Vancouver, is the Leafs’ first-round pick, fifth overall, in last year’s NHL Entry Draft.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 2
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)