Mar 18, 2013, 1:29 AM EDT
Toronto Maple Leafs prospect Morgan Rielly, a smooth skating defenseman in the Western Hockey League, is on his way to the American Hockey League.
Rielly will join the Toronto Marlies, the Maple Leafs’ AHL affiliate, Wednesday, according to the Moose Jaw Times Herald
“Any time I’ve gone to Toronto they’ve always told me that they drafted me for a reason — it’s because of what I am able do with the puck. That’s what they ask me to do,” Rielly told the Moose Jaw Times Herald.
“I want to play hard every night and try to get better.”
Rielly, who turned 19 earlier this month, had 12 goals and 54 points during the regular season with the Moose Jaw Warriors.
The Warriors failed to make the WHL playoffs by 11 points, allowing Rielly the opportunity to get called up for the Marlies.
Rielly, a product of Wes Vancouver, is the Leafs’ first-round pick, fifth overall, in last year’s NHL Entry Draft.
- Subban, Habs can’t agree to terms before arbitration hearing 16
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 19
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 63
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)