Mar 18, 2013, 1:29 AM EST
Toronto Maple Leafs prospect Morgan Rielly, a smooth skating defenseman in the Western Hockey League, is on his way to the American Hockey League.
Rielly will join the Toronto Marlies, the Maple Leafs’ AHL affiliate, Wednesday, according to the Moose Jaw Times Herald
“Any time I’ve gone to Toronto they’ve always told me that they drafted me for a reason — it’s because of what I am able do with the puck. That’s what they ask me to do,” Rielly told the Moose Jaw Times Herald.
“I want to play hard every night and try to get better.”
Rielly, who turned 19 earlier this month, had 12 goals and 54 points during the regular season with the Moose Jaw Warriors.
The Warriors failed to make the WHL playoffs by 11 points, allowing Rielly the opportunity to get called up for the Marlies.
Rielly, a product of Wes Vancouver, is the Leafs’ first-round pick, fifth overall, in last year’s NHL Entry Draft.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 152
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 119
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (181)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (152)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (119)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)