Mar 18, 2013, 1:29 AM EDT
Toronto Maple Leafs prospect Morgan Rielly, a smooth skating defenseman in the Western Hockey League, is on his way to the American Hockey League.
Rielly will join the Toronto Marlies, the Maple Leafs’ AHL affiliate, Wednesday, according to the Moose Jaw Times Herald
“Any time I’ve gone to Toronto they’ve always told me that they drafted me for a reason — it’s because of what I am able do with the puck. That’s what they ask me to do,” Rielly told the Moose Jaw Times Herald.
“I want to play hard every night and try to get better.”
Rielly, who turned 19 earlier this month, had 12 goals and 54 points during the regular season with the Moose Jaw Warriors.
The Warriors failed to make the WHL playoffs by 11 points, allowing Rielly the opportunity to get called up for the Marlies.
Rielly, a product of Wes Vancouver, is the Leafs’ first-round pick, fifth overall, in last year’s NHL Entry Draft.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 12
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 6
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)