Mar 18, 2013, 12:12 PM EDT
Ten days ago, the Colorado Avalanche snapped Chicago’s record-setting streak — 24 games to start the season without a regulation loss — and did so emphatically, beating the ‘Hawks 6-2.
Now Chicago is out for revenge.
“We’re excited about the challenge,” Patrick Kane told the Chicago Tribune prior to tonight’s game in Denver. “I think you’ll see a pretty good effort from us.
“It’s kind of revenge after what happened. They broke the streak.”
The Pepsi Center crowd chanted, “End of streak! End of streak!” over the final minutes on Mar. 8, rubbing a little salt into Chicago’s wounds.
And there were wounds to be sure.
Colorado essentially broke the streak with a four-goal second period in which all four goals were scored in a 10 minute span.
That chased Corey Crawford from the ‘Hawks goal, and he expressed disappointment with his effort following the game.
“I didn’t have it tonight,” Crawford said. “Didn’t give our guys a chance.”
Unfortunately for Crawford, he won’t get to join in on the revenge party as Ray Emery is slated to get the start in Colorado.
It sounds like the ‘Hawks are genuinely gunning for the Avs tonight, which makes sense given Colorado handed them their most lopsided defeat of the year.
It also kickstarted a mini two-game slump in which Chicago yielded 12 goals (the ‘Hawks lost to Edmonton 6-5 two nights later), which could be why defenseman Duncan Keith seems to have circled this Avs rematch on his calendar.
“We certainly remember what happened,” he told the Tribune.
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 129
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 15
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 4
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 23
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 23
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 17
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (128)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)