Mar 18, 2013, 12:12 PM EDT
Ten days ago, the Colorado Avalanche snapped Chicago’s record-setting streak — 24 games to start the season without a regulation loss — and did so emphatically, beating the ‘Hawks 6-2.
Now Chicago is out for revenge.
“We’re excited about the challenge,” Patrick Kane told the Chicago Tribune prior to tonight’s game in Denver. “I think you’ll see a pretty good effort from us.
“It’s kind of revenge after what happened. They broke the streak.”
The Pepsi Center crowd chanted, “End of streak! End of streak!” over the final minutes on Mar. 8, rubbing a little salt into Chicago’s wounds.
And there were wounds to be sure.
Colorado essentially broke the streak with a four-goal second period in which all four goals were scored in a 10 minute span.
That chased Corey Crawford from the ‘Hawks goal, and he expressed disappointment with his effort following the game.
“I didn’t have it tonight,” Crawford said. “Didn’t give our guys a chance.”
Unfortunately for Crawford, he won’t get to join in on the revenge party as Ray Emery is slated to get the start in Colorado.
It sounds like the ‘Hawks are genuinely gunning for the Avs tonight, which makes sense given Colorado handed them their most lopsided defeat of the year.
It also kickstarted a mini two-game slump in which Chicago yielded 12 goals (the ‘Hawks lost to Edmonton 6-5 two nights later), which could be why defenseman Duncan Keith seems to have circled this Avs rematch on his calendar.
“We certainly remember what happened,” he told the Tribune.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 11
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 12
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 66
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 89
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)