Mar 18, 2013, 12:12 PM EST
Ten days ago, the Colorado Avalanche snapped Chicago’s record-setting streak — 24 games to start the season without a regulation loss — and did so emphatically, beating the ‘Hawks 6-2.
Now Chicago is out for revenge.
“We’re excited about the challenge,” Patrick Kane told the Chicago Tribune prior to tonight’s game in Denver. “I think you’ll see a pretty good effort from us.
“It’s kind of revenge after what happened. They broke the streak.”
The Pepsi Center crowd chanted, “End of streak! End of streak!” over the final minutes on Mar. 8, rubbing a little salt into Chicago’s wounds.
And there were wounds to be sure.
Colorado essentially broke the streak with a four-goal second period in which all four goals were scored in a 10 minute span.
That chased Corey Crawford from the ‘Hawks goal, and he expressed disappointment with his effort following the game.
“I didn’t have it tonight,” Crawford said. “Didn’t give our guys a chance.”
Unfortunately for Crawford, he won’t get to join in on the revenge party as Ray Emery is slated to get the start in Colorado.
It sounds like the ‘Hawks are genuinely gunning for the Avs tonight, which makes sense given Colorado handed them their most lopsided defeat of the year.
It also kickstarted a mini two-game slump in which Chicago yielded 12 goals (the ‘Hawks lost to Edmonton 6-5 two nights later), which could be why defenseman Duncan Keith seems to have circled this Avs rematch on his calendar.
“We certainly remember what happened,” he told the Tribune.
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 2
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 8
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 97
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (97)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (87)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)