Mar 18, 2013, 12:12 PM EST
Ten days ago, the Colorado Avalanche snapped Chicago’s record-setting streak — 24 games to start the season without a regulation loss — and did so emphatically, beating the ‘Hawks 6-2.
Now Chicago is out for revenge.
“We’re excited about the challenge,” Patrick Kane told the Chicago Tribune prior to tonight’s game in Denver. “I think you’ll see a pretty good effort from us.
“It’s kind of revenge after what happened. They broke the streak.”
The Pepsi Center crowd chanted, “End of streak! End of streak!” over the final minutes on Mar. 8, rubbing a little salt into Chicago’s wounds.
And there were wounds to be sure.
Colorado essentially broke the streak with a four-goal second period in which all four goals were scored in a 10 minute span.
That chased Corey Crawford from the ‘Hawks goal, and he expressed disappointment with his effort following the game.
“I didn’t have it tonight,” Crawford said. “Didn’t give our guys a chance.”
Unfortunately for Crawford, he won’t get to join in on the revenge party as Ray Emery is slated to get the start in Colorado.
It sounds like the ‘Hawks are genuinely gunning for the Avs tonight, which makes sense given Colorado handed them their most lopsided defeat of the year.
It also kickstarted a mini two-game slump in which Chicago yielded 12 goals (the ‘Hawks lost to Edmonton 6-5 two nights later), which could be why defenseman Duncan Keith seems to have circled this Avs rematch on his calendar.
“We certainly remember what happened,” he told the Tribune.
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 5
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 6
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 3
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8