Mar 18, 2013, 12:12 PM EST
Ten days ago, the Colorado Avalanche snapped Chicago’s record-setting streak — 24 games to start the season without a regulation loss — and did so emphatically, beating the ‘Hawks 6-2.
Now Chicago is out for revenge.
“We’re excited about the challenge,” Patrick Kane told the Chicago Tribune prior to tonight’s game in Denver. “I think you’ll see a pretty good effort from us.
“It’s kind of revenge after what happened. They broke the streak.”
The Pepsi Center crowd chanted, “End of streak! End of streak!” over the final minutes on Mar. 8, rubbing a little salt into Chicago’s wounds.
And there were wounds to be sure.
Colorado essentially broke the streak with a four-goal second period in which all four goals were scored in a 10 minute span.
That chased Corey Crawford from the ‘Hawks goal, and he expressed disappointment with his effort following the game.
“I didn’t have it tonight,” Crawford said. “Didn’t give our guys a chance.”
Unfortunately for Crawford, he won’t get to join in on the revenge party as Ray Emery is slated to get the start in Colorado.
It sounds like the ‘Hawks are genuinely gunning for the Avs tonight, which makes sense given Colorado handed them their most lopsided defeat of the year.
It also kickstarted a mini two-game slump in which Chicago yielded 12 goals (the ‘Hawks lost to Edmonton 6-5 two nights later), which could be why defenseman Duncan Keith seems to have circled this Avs rematch on his calendar.
“We certainly remember what happened,” he told the Tribune.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 43
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 66
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 20
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 14
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 73
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (73)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)