Jordan Staal believes Marc could play again this season

Mar 18, 2013, 6:22 PM EDT

Marc Staal Getty Images

Eric and Jordan Staal had the opportunity to visit ailing brother Marc Staal on Sunday. They provided some updates about the New York Rangers defenseman’s condition to the Bergen Record, including this hopeful bit from Jordan about Marc possibly playing again this season.

“I believe so, he still needs time to heal but he’s looking forward to getting back as soon as he can,” Jordan said.

Unfortunately, the optimism wasn’t quite as abundant regarding Marc’s vision coming back 100 percent.

“It’s heading in the right direction and we’re not sure completely how it’s going to turn out,” Jordan said.

It sounds like Marc will wear a visor whenever he returns to the NHL, although it doesn’t appear to be a slam dunk (despite their mother’s objections).

“We asked him, I think he’s going to wear one,” Jordan said. “It really isn’t a laughing matter but I think he’s going to throw one on. My mom threw a few comments out but the Staals can be stubborn sometimes.”

Apparently so, because Eric seemed pretty ambivalent about wearing one himself.

“I don’t know, he hasn’t really said much about it to be honest. It’s one of those things that it’s tough to make an excuse for,” Eric said about Marc before shifting to his own situation. “But right now I’m comfortable without it and obviously I’m going to have address it at some point and possibly go with it but for right now I’m staying with the way I have it.”

In related news, TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports that Marc will be on hand in New York to watch his Rangers face his brothers and the Carolina Hurricanes on Monday.

Latest Posts
  1. Report: Duchene to miss at least first two games of Avalanche-Wild series

Apr 15, 2014, 9:31 PM EDT

Boston Bruins v Colorado Avalanche Getty Images

“It puts a lot more pressure on everybody else,” says Nathan MacKinnon.

2. Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall

Apr 15, 2014, 8:25 PM EDT

NHL2014Draft

After losing the No. 1 pick to Colorado last year.

3. Pressing question: Will Philly get the goaltending?

Apr 15, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT

Steve Mason, Ray Emery AP

Heck, will Steve Mason even be available?

4. NHL hit with third concussion lawsuit

Apr 15, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT

bettmangetty Getty Images

Just days after another group of ex-players filed last Thursday.

5. PHT Extra: Can the Jackets upset the Penguins?

Apr 15, 2014, 5:31 PM EDT

Pittsburgh Penguins v Columbus Blue Jackets Getty Images

What about the Stars over the Ducks?

6. Boudreau won’t say who’s starting for Ducks, but the money’s on Andersen

Apr 15, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT

Frederik Andersen, Jonas Hiller AP

“I don’t think I can screw it up too bad whoever I choose.”

7. Calgary’s AHL affiliate parts ways with Abbotsford

Apr 15, 2014, 3:13 PM EDT

abbotsford heat logo

The city has terminated the contract.

8. Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers

Apr 15, 2014, 2:08 PM EDT

Philadelphia Flyers v Florida Panthers Getty Images

“That’s not been determined yet,” said head coach Craig Berube.

9. Pressing question: Are the Avs for real?

Apr 15, 2014, 1:50 PM EDT

Colorado Avalanche v Columbus Blue Jackets Getty Images

Even if they beat Minnesota, that question won’t be put to bed.

10. Flyers sign Frozen Four MVP Gostisbehere

Apr 15, 2014, 1:10 PM EDT

Shayne Gostisbehere Getty Images

Union College standout was a third-round pick in ’12.

11. Coyotes say Smith won’t need MCL surgery

Apr 15, 2014, 1:01 PM EDT

Mike Smith Getty Images

“We have no qualms whatsoever about a long-term problem with it.”

12. Welcome Jason Spezza to the trade rumor mill

Apr 15, 2014, 12:38 PM EDT

PITTSBURGH, PA - FEBRUARY 03: Jason Spezza #19 of the Ottawa Senators skates against the Pittsburgh Penguins during the game at Consol Energy Center on February 3, 2014 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. (Photo by Justin K. Aller/Getty Images) Getty Images

“I’m not naive to the talk. I’ve been asked the question lots.”

Are Penguins vulnerable vs. Columbus?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches