Mar 18, 2013, 2:16 PM EST
The Winnipeg Jets have signed defenseman Arturs Kulda from Sibir Novosibirsk of the KHL, according to the Winnipeg Free Press.
Kulda, 24, was taken by Atlanta in the seventh round (200th overall) at the 2006 NHL Entry Draft. He appeared in six games for the Thrashers between 2009-11 and skated in nine contests for the Jets last year, spending most of his time with AHL St. John’s.
Last July, Kulda signed with Sibir while still a restricted free agent, meaning the Jets held his rights.
Today’s signing was rumored to be in the works for days, as Sibir released Kulda last Monday after being eliminated from the KHL playoffs.
Because he obtained his release from his KHL club, Kulda will not require waivers to join the Jets.
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 17
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 15
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 68
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 20
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 28
- Video: Fight erupts between Penguins and Capitals inside Pittsburgh’s bench 40
- Patrick Kane (fractured clavicle) out 12 weeks after surgery 41
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (71)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)