Mar 18, 2013, 2:16 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets have signed defenseman Arturs Kulda from Sibir Novosibirsk of the KHL, according to the Winnipeg Free Press.
Kulda, 24, was taken by Atlanta in the seventh round (200th overall) at the 2006 NHL Entry Draft. He appeared in six games for the Thrashers between 2009-11 and skated in nine contests for the Jets last year, spending most of his time with AHL St. John’s.
Last July, Kulda signed with Sibir while still a restricted free agent, meaning the Jets held his rights.
Today’s signing was rumored to be in the works for days, as Sibir released Kulda last Monday after being eliminated from the KHL playoffs.
Because he obtained his release from his KHL club, Kulda will not require waivers to join the Jets.
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 12
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 34
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 72
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 8
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 11
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 46
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 39
- LIVE: Spurs-Heat, Game 6
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'