Mar 18, 2013, 2:16 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets have signed defenseman Arturs Kulda from Sibir Novosibirsk of the KHL, according to the Winnipeg Free Press.
Kulda, 24, was taken by Atlanta in the seventh round (200th overall) at the 2006 NHL Entry Draft. He appeared in six games for the Thrashers between 2009-11 and skated in nine contests for the Jets last year, spending most of his time with AHL St. John’s.
Last July, Kulda signed with Sibir while still a restricted free agent, meaning the Jets held his rights.
Today’s signing was rumored to be in the works for days, as Sibir released Kulda last Monday after being eliminated from the KHL playoffs.
Because he obtained his release from his KHL club, Kulda will not require waivers to join the Jets.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)