Mar 18, 2013, 2:16 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets have signed defenseman Arturs Kulda from Sibir Novosibirsk of the KHL, according to the Winnipeg Free Press.
Kulda, 24, was taken by Atlanta in the seventh round (200th overall) at the 2006 NHL Entry Draft. He appeared in six games for the Thrashers between 2009-11 and skated in nine contests for the Jets last year, spending most of his time with AHL St. John’s.
Last July, Kulda signed with Sibir while still a restricted free agent, meaning the Jets held his rights.
Today’s signing was rumored to be in the works for days, as Sibir released Kulda last Monday after being eliminated from the KHL playoffs.
Because he obtained his release from his KHL club, Kulda will not require waivers to join the Jets.
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 36
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (37)