Mar 18, 2013, 2:16 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets have signed defenseman Arturs Kulda from Sibir Novosibirsk of the KHL, according to the Winnipeg Free Press.
Kulda, 24, was taken by Atlanta in the seventh round (200th overall) at the 2006 NHL Entry Draft. He appeared in six games for the Thrashers between 2009-11 and skated in nine contests for the Jets last year, spending most of his time with AHL St. John’s.
Last July, Kulda signed with Sibir while still a restricted free agent, meaning the Jets held his rights.
Today’s signing was rumored to be in the works for days, as Sibir released Kulda last Monday after being eliminated from the KHL playoffs.
Because he obtained his release from his KHL club, Kulda will not require waivers to join the Jets.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5