Mar 18, 2013, 8:12 PM EDT
Helm, 26, has been limited to just one game this season because of those back problems. The team was hoping he’d be able to play on Wednesday, but a setback leaves that as a mere “pipe dream,” according to head coach Mike Babcock.
Meanwhile, Bertuzzi skated for a few minutes last week but didn’t feel good. The 38-year-old hopes to avoid surgery. (About the only good news for him? His contract doesn’t expire until after the 2013-14 campaign.)
The Red Wings are currently ranked fifth in the West with 33 points, but the margin of error isn’t large, especially since they’re tied for the most games played in the conference at 29.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 0
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 4
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 17
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 53