Mar 18, 2013, 8:12 PM EDT
Helm, 26, has been limited to just one game this season because of those back problems. The team was hoping he’d be able to play on Wednesday, but a setback leaves that as a mere “pipe dream,” according to head coach Mike Babcock.
Meanwhile, Bertuzzi skated for a few minutes last week but didn’t feel good. The 38-year-old hopes to avoid surgery. (About the only good news for him? His contract doesn’t expire until after the 2013-14 campaign.)
The Red Wings are currently ranked fifth in the West with 33 points, but the margin of error isn’t large, especially since they’re tied for the most games played in the conference at 29.
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 4
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 36
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 45
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 32
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 27
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 25
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 50
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 10
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6