Mar 18, 2013, 8:12 PM EST
Helm, 26, has been limited to just one game this season because of those back problems. The team was hoping he’d be able to play on Wednesday, but a setback leaves that as a mere “pipe dream,” according to head coach Mike Babcock.
Meanwhile, Bertuzzi skated for a few minutes last week but didn’t feel good. The 38-year-old hopes to avoid surgery. (About the only good news for him? His contract doesn’t expire until after the 2013-14 campaign.)
The Red Wings are currently ranked fifth in the West with 33 points, but the margin of error isn’t large, especially since they’re tied for the most games played in the conference at 29.
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 22
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 7
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 34
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 15
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11