Mar 18, 2013, 8:45 PM EDT
New Jersey Devils third-round pick Ben Johnson is facing two separate sexual assault charges, including one stemming from a St. Patrick’s Day party, the Windsor Star reports.
Johnson, 18, was accused of that crime by a 16-year-old woman from Sunday, which encouraged a 20-year-old woman to come forward regarding an incident that allegedly happened three weeks earlier. Both claim that the assaults happened in restrooms of two different restaurants in the Windsor, Ontario area.
The forward played for the OHL’s Windsor Spitfires this season.
Here are more in-depth details from the Windsor Star:
Ben Johnson, 18, was arrested early this morning after one of the alleged sexual assaults, which sources say occurred in the washroom of Mynt nightclub during a combined St. Patrick’s Day party and end of season gathering that included other players. He appeared in provincial court this afternoon by video and was held in custody overnight, with bail set at $30,000.
Windsor Police Sgt. Matt D’Asti said police attended the Metropolitan campus of the Windsor Regional Hospital at about 1:50 a.m. Monday and spoke with a 16-year-old girl, who told officers she had been sexually assaulted. Police then arrested the suspect in the 11000 block of Rockland Street just before 4 a.m.
D’Asti said during the course of the investigation, a second woman, aged 20, came forward. That woman told police she had also been sexually assaulted by the accused in the washroom of The Tilted Kilt at 2135 Wyandotte St. W. about three weeks ago, D’Asti said.
The Spitfires essentially provided a “no comment” response regarding the accusations. The Devils selected Johnson 90th overall in 2012′s draft, but haven’t signed him to an entry-level contract.
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 13
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 37
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 49
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 19
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 31
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 96
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (92)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games