Mar 18, 2013, 8:45 PM EST
New Jersey Devils third-round pick Ben Johnson is facing two separate sexual assault charges, including one stemming from a St. Patrick’s Day party, the Windsor Star reports.
Johnson, 18, was accused of that crime by a 16-year-old woman from Sunday, which encouraged a 20-year-old woman to come forward regarding an incident that allegedly happened three weeks earlier. Both claim that the assaults happened in restrooms of two different restaurants in the Windsor, Ontario area.
The forward played for the OHL’s Windsor Spitfires this season.
Here are more in-depth details from the Windsor Star:
Ben Johnson, 18, was arrested early this morning after one of the alleged sexual assaults, which sources say occurred in the washroom of Mynt nightclub during a combined St. Patrick’s Day party and end of season gathering that included other players. He appeared in provincial court this afternoon by video and was held in custody overnight, with bail set at $30,000.
Windsor Police Sgt. Matt D’Asti said police attended the Metropolitan campus of the Windsor Regional Hospital at about 1:50 a.m. Monday and spoke with a 16-year-old girl, who told officers she had been sexually assaulted. Police then arrested the suspect in the 11000 block of Rockland Street just before 4 a.m.
D’Asti said during the course of the investigation, a second woman, aged 20, came forward. That woman told police she had also been sexually assaulted by the accused in the washroom of The Tilted Kilt at 2135 Wyandotte St. W. about three weeks ago, D’Asti said.
The Spitfires essentially provided a “no comment” response regarding the accusations. The Devils selected Johnson 90th overall in 2012’s draft, but haven’t signed him to an entry-level contract.
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 1
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 27
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 18
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 22
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 32
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 63
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 31
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 44
- Mike Richards clears waivers 35
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15