Mar 18, 2013, 11:38 AM EST
There was a sight for sore eyes at Devils practice on Monday as Martin Brodeur returned to the ice, taking a full compliment of shots without restraint.
The 40-year-old netminder has been out of action since Feb. 21 with a back issue and hasn’t practiced with teammates since a morning skate on Feb. 24.
He’s missed New Jersey’s last 12 games as a result — a stretch that coincided with the Devils going 3-7-2 (after starting the year 10-3-4).
Given this is just Brodeur’s first practice in nearly three weeks, it’s unlikely he’ll get the call on Tuesday when the Devils take on the Rangers at the Prudential Center.
It’s likely the starting duties will once again fall to Johan Hedberg, who has been steady as of late, allowing two goals or fewer in his last four starts.
This means Brodeur could be back in goal on Thursday when the Devs travel to Carolina to take on the Hurricanes.
Brodeur is 8-2-3 this year with a 2.27 goals-against average, .911 save percentage and one shutout.
- Miller’s second straight shutout puts Canucks in NHL lead 15
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 3
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 6
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 25
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)