Mar 18, 2013, 11:38 AM EDT
There was a sight for sore eyes at Devils practice on Monday as Martin Brodeur returned to the ice, taking a full compliment of shots without restraint.
The 40-year-old netminder has been out of action since Feb. 21 with a back issue and hasn’t practiced with teammates since a morning skate on Feb. 24.
He’s missed New Jersey’s last 12 games as a result — a stretch that coincided with the Devils going 3-7-2 (after starting the year 10-3-4).
Given this is just Brodeur’s first practice in nearly three weeks, it’s unlikely he’ll get the call on Tuesday when the Devils take on the Rangers at the Prudential Center.
It’s likely the starting duties will once again fall to Johan Hedberg, who has been steady as of late, allowing two goals or fewer in his last four starts.
This means Brodeur could be back in goal on Thursday when the Devs travel to Carolina to take on the Hurricanes.
Brodeur is 8-2-3 this year with a 2.27 goals-against average, .911 save percentage and one shutout.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 4
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 10
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 17
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 25
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)