Mar 18, 2013, 1:12 PM EDT
Though he’s only played three NHL contests, Tampa Bay rookie defenseman Radko Gudas has already made a big impression on his head coach, Guy Boucher.
“He’s a head hunter,” Boucher told the Tampa Bay Times. “He’s one of those guys that hits you clean but extremely hard.”
Gudas, 22, was taken by Tampa in the third round (66th overall) of the 2010 NHL Entry Draft. He’s spent the last three seasons with AHL Norfolk/Syracuse and, this season, made his NHL debut in a 3-2 win over Florida — during which he did this to Panthers forward Kris Versteeg:
The hit knocked Versteeg out of the contest and led to season-ending knee surgery, but both Gudas and Boucher insisted the hit was clean.
“It’s the type of my game. I play the body,” Gudas told the St. Petersburg Times. “I wasn’t going to hurt him or anything. I went for the puck and turned my back to him and he kind of tried to jump around me.
“It’s something that happens in hockey. I obviously didn’t want him to get hurt or anything.”
Boucher said the hit “wasn’t cheap” and “wasn’t anything, just bad luck for Versteeg.”
Boucher also said he’s quickly gaining trust in Gudas, who he compares to former hard-hitting defenseman Darius Kasparaitis.
Gudas is doing all he can to reprise the role. He has 14 hits and seven blocked shots through three games and played a career-high 20:03 in a 4-1 win over Carolina on Saturday.
“He’s been terrific,” Boucher said. “We knew he was good. We knew he was probably ready. We just needed to put him on the ice and see how close he is. And he’s not just close, he was probably our best defenseman (Thursday in a loss to the Islanders) and almost our best defenseman in his first game in the NHL.
“He’s been doing it all right now.”
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 10
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 23
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 66
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (70)