Mar 18, 2013, 4:19 PM EDT
One of the Blackhawks’ biggest forwards wants to stay in the Windy City.
That’s what Bryan Bickell told the Chicago Tribune over the weekend, saying he’d love to stick with the Blackhawks for the long haul.
“I’d be more than happy to be back here,” Bickell, a UFA this summer, explained. “It’s where I started when I got drafted in 2004. I don’t want to be shipped around the league. I want to be with one team. The core guys here I’ve been with for a long time.
“Hopefully, I can have my career here.”
After a frustrating 2011-12 campaign — his goal production dipped from 17 in 2010-11 to just nine — Bickell’s rebounded nicely this season, scoring 6G-10A-16PTS in 28 games while averaging 12:30 per game.
He also leads the team in hits (61) and, according to Chris Kuc of the Tribune, possesses “arguably the best wrist shot on the ‘Hawks.”
The big question will be if Bickell plays the market this summer.
Though his allegiances clearly lie with Chicago, he only recently turned 27 and is coming off a fairly modest contract (three years, $1.625 million) where he made $541,667 annually.
Given he seems to be on the verge of “putting it all together,” a team could be prepared to offer him a sizable raise.
That said, Chicago could also up the ante, as GM Stan Bowman clearly recognizes what he’s got in Bickell.
“He’s played great this year,” Bowman told the Tribune. “He’s kind of coming into his own. Originally, it was learning what it was like to be just to be in the lineup every night and now it’s more than that. He wants to be a difference-maker. He’s got a role and he’s playing that role.
“As a result, it’s noticeable how that line in particular seems to be quite effective. Some nights they’re our best line and he’s a big part of it.”
- Hurricanes say Jordan Staal broke a bone in his right leg 2
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 25
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)