Mar 17, 2013, 11:28 PM EDT
But he was culpable in allowing the Oilers’ odd-man rush up the ice that led to the goal.
With the Predators on the power play just past the midway point of the third period, Kostitsyn was unable to handle a pass that bounced over his stick and into the neutral zone. It happens.
But, in an odd sequence of events, he was outmuscled for the puck by the smaller Sam Gagner, then, giving up on the play, decided to head to the bench on a line change despite the fact the Oilers had suddenly developed a two-on-one rush.
Gagner hit Petrell with a perfect pass and Petrell scored to give Edmonton a 2-1 lead.
The Oilers went on to win the game 3-2. Below is a video of the goal.
Kostitsyn owned up to his error afterward.
“I made a mistake. I went to change, I should have backchecked, but didn’t see the second guy was coming there,” he told The Tennessean.
“Even if it was a 1-on-1, I should go back, it doesn’t matter if I was tired. I should have gone back and pressured him from behind.”
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 22
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 21
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 33
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)