Mar 17, 2013, 11:28 PM EDT
But he was culpable in allowing the Oilers’ odd-man rush up the ice that led to the goal.
With the Predators on the power play just past the midway point of the third period, Kostitsyn was unable to handle a pass that bounced over his stick and into the neutral zone. It happens.
But, in an odd sequence of events, he was outmuscled for the puck by the smaller Sam Gagner, then, giving up on the play, decided to head to the bench on a line change despite the fact the Oilers had suddenly developed a two-on-one rush.
Gagner hit Petrell with a perfect pass and Petrell scored to give Edmonton a 2-1 lead.
The Oilers went on to win the game 3-2. Below is a video of the goal.
Kostitsyn owned up to his error afterward.
“I made a mistake. I went to change, I should have backchecked, but didn’t see the second guy was coming there,” he told The Tennessean.
“Even if it was a 1-on-1, I should go back, it doesn’t matter if I was tired. I should have gone back and pressured him from behind.”
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 9
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 13
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 29
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 9
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25