Mar 17, 2013, 11:28 PM EST
But he was culpable in allowing the Oilers’ odd-man rush up the ice that led to the goal.
With the Predators on the power play just past the midway point of the third period, Kostitsyn was unable to handle a pass that bounced over his stick and into the neutral zone. It happens.
But, in an odd sequence of events, he was outmuscled for the puck by the smaller Sam Gagner, then, giving up on the play, decided to head to the bench on a line change despite the fact the Oilers had suddenly developed a two-on-one rush.
Gagner hit Petrell with a perfect pass and Petrell scored to give Edmonton a 2-1 lead.
The Oilers went on to win the game 3-2. Below is a video of the goal.
Kostitsyn owned up to his error afterward.
“I made a mistake. I went to change, I should have backchecked, but didn’t see the second guy was coming there,” he told The Tennessean.
“Even if it was a 1-on-1, I should go back, it doesn’t matter if I was tired. I should have gone back and pressured him from behind.”
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 15
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 2
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 16
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 9
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)