Mar 17, 2013, 11:28 PM EDT
But he was culpable in allowing the Oilers’ odd-man rush up the ice that led to the goal.
With the Predators on the power play just past the midway point of the third period, Kostitsyn was unable to handle a pass that bounced over his stick and into the neutral zone. It happens.
But, in an odd sequence of events, he was outmuscled for the puck by the smaller Sam Gagner, then, giving up on the play, decided to head to the bench on a line change despite the fact the Oilers had suddenly developed a two-on-one rush.
Gagner hit Petrell with a perfect pass and Petrell scored to give Edmonton a 2-1 lead.
The Oilers went on to win the game 3-2. Below is a video of the goal.
Kostitsyn owned up to his error afterward.
“I made a mistake. I went to change, I should have backchecked, but didn’t see the second guy was coming there,” he told The Tennessean.
“Even if it was a 1-on-1, I should go back, it doesn’t matter if I was tired. I should have gone back and pressured him from behind.”
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 56
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)