Mar 17, 2013, 9:25 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets needed a 10-round shootout to defeat the Toronto Maple Leafs and that may have taken its toll on them Sunday against the Ottawa Senators.
The Jets, despite being down only a goal in the third period were outshot 42-26 in Sunday’s St. Patrick’s Day 4-1 loss in the Canadian capital.
“I thought in the first period, fatigue was a factor,” Jets head coach Claude Noel told NHL.com.
“We came out and we weren’t very physical. The [Senators] were intense and they took our play to us. I thought [Pavelec] gave a great chance to win the game. I think the fact that we played three games in four days, and not really playing with four lines really caught up with us. I can’t really fault the players for that.”
And when the Jets weren’t fighting fatigue, they were going up against Senators goalie Robin Lehner.
He stopped 25 of 26 shots faced, and has yet to lose in regulation – he does have four overtime/shootout losses – in six games.
His best of the night came on Evander Kane in the third period and the Jets trailing by a goal.
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 35
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 38
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 24
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 40
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 91
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- Live Extra: Watch Game 3 between Sharks, Kings
- PBT Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal
- Play Video: IIHF highlights: Sweden 3, Finland 0