Mar 17, 2013, 9:25 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets needed a 10-round shootout to defeat the Toronto Maple Leafs and that may have taken its toll on them Sunday against the Ottawa Senators.
The Jets, despite being down only a goal in the third period were outshot 42-26 in Sunday’s St. Patrick’s Day 4-1 loss in the Canadian capital.
“I thought in the first period, fatigue was a factor,” Jets head coach Claude Noel told NHL.com.
“We came out and we weren’t very physical. The [Senators] were intense and they took our play to us. I thought [Pavelec] gave a great chance to win the game. I think the fact that we played three games in four days, and not really playing with four lines really caught up with us. I can’t really fault the players for that.”
And when the Jets weren’t fighting fatigue, they were going up against Senators goalie Robin Lehner.
He stopped 25 of 26 shots faced, and has yet to lose in regulation – he does have four overtime/shootout losses – in six games.
His best of the night came on Evander Kane in the third period and the Jets trailing by a goal.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)