Mar 17, 2013, 9:25 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets needed a 10-round shootout to defeat the Toronto Maple Leafs and that may have taken its toll on them Sunday against the Ottawa Senators.
The Jets, despite being down only a goal in the third period were outshot 42-26 in Sunday’s St. Patrick’s Day 4-1 loss in the Canadian capital.
“I thought in the first period, fatigue was a factor,” Jets head coach Claude Noel told NHL.com.
“We came out and we weren’t very physical. The [Senators] were intense and they took our play to us. I thought [Pavelec] gave a great chance to win the game. I think the fact that we played three games in four days, and not really playing with four lines really caught up with us. I can’t really fault the players for that.”
And when the Jets weren’t fighting fatigue, they were going up against Senators goalie Robin Lehner.
He stopped 25 of 26 shots faced, and has yet to lose in regulation – he does have four overtime/shootout losses – in six games.
His best of the night came on Evander Kane in the third period and the Jets trailing by a goal.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)