Mar 17, 2013, 9:56 PM EDT
A Sunday afternoon clash between the American Hockey League’s Chicago Wolves and Rockford IceHogs ended with a brawl at the IceHogs bench.
The incident occurred in the final seconds of the IceHogs’ 2-1 victory, when Chicago forward Guillaume Desbiens, finishing his check, went through the door at the Rockford bench. IceHogs forward Jeremy Morin began landing punches on Desbiens, before a massive pile-up of players ensued.
Wolves defenseman Jim Vandermeer, who signed a two-way contract with the Canucks at the start of training camp, ended up getting into a fight inside the IceHogs bench.
The two teams combined for 174 penalty minutes and the incident didn’t sit well the Wolves coaching staff.
“We’re sending all that stuff in to the league,” Wolves head coach Scott Arniel told the Chicago Tribune.
“All that (expletive) that went on there, they have a history of it. Terribly reffed game too. Got out of hand.”
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 2
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 15
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 35
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 44
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)