Mar 17, 2013, 9:56 PM EDT
A Sunday afternoon clash between the American Hockey League’s Chicago Wolves and Rockford IceHogs ended with a brawl at the IceHogs bench.
The incident occurred in the final seconds of the IceHogs’ 2-1 victory, when Chicago forward Guillaume Desbiens, finishing his check, went through the door at the Rockford bench. IceHogs forward Jeremy Morin began landing punches on Desbiens, before a massive pile-up of players ensued.
Wolves defenseman Jim Vandermeer, who signed a two-way contract with the Canucks at the start of training camp, ended up getting into a fight inside the IceHogs bench.
The two teams combined for 174 penalty minutes and the incident didn’t sit well the Wolves coaching staff.
“We’re sending all that stuff in to the league,” Wolves head coach Scott Arniel told the Chicago Tribune.
“All that (expletive) that went on there, they have a history of it. Terribly reffed game too. Got out of hand.”
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5