Mar 17, 2013, 9:56 PM EDT
A Sunday afternoon clash between the American Hockey League’s Chicago Wolves and Rockford IceHogs ended with a brawl at the IceHogs bench.
The incident occurred in the final seconds of the IceHogs’ 2-1 victory, when Chicago forward Guillaume Desbiens, finishing his check, went through the door at the Rockford bench. IceHogs forward Jeremy Morin began landing punches on Desbiens, before a massive pile-up of players ensued.
Wolves defenseman Jim Vandermeer, who signed a two-way contract with the Canucks at the start of training camp, ended up getting into a fight inside the IceHogs bench.
The two teams combined for 174 penalty minutes and the incident didn’t sit well the Wolves coaching staff.
“We’re sending all that stuff in to the league,” Wolves head coach Scott Arniel told the Chicago Tribune.
“All that (expletive) that went on there, they have a history of it. Terribly reffed game too. Got out of hand.”
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)