Mar 17, 2013, 9:56 PM EDT
A Sunday afternoon clash between the American Hockey League’s Chicago Wolves and Rockford IceHogs ended with a brawl at the IceHogs bench.
The incident occurred in the final seconds of the IceHogs’ 2-1 victory, when Chicago forward Guillaume Desbiens, finishing his check, went through the door at the Rockford bench. IceHogs forward Jeremy Morin began landing punches on Desbiens, before a massive pile-up of players ensued.
Wolves defenseman Jim Vandermeer, who signed a two-way contract with the Canucks at the start of training camp, ended up getting into a fight inside the IceHogs bench.
The two teams combined for 174 penalty minutes and the incident didn’t sit well the Wolves coaching staff.
“We’re sending all that stuff in to the league,” Wolves head coach Scott Arniel told the Chicago Tribune.
“All that (expletive) that went on there, they have a history of it. Terribly reffed game too. Got out of hand.”
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 3
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 18
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)