Mar 17, 2013, 11:45 AM EDT
The Islanders are pushing hard to make the playoffs for the first time since the 2006-07 season and it sounds like GM Garth Snow wants to keep three key veterans to that push beyond this season.
Arthur Staple of New York Newsday reports the team is looking to sign goalie Evgeni Nabokov as well as defensemen Mark Streit and Lubomir Visnovsky to extensions to stay on Long Island. Yes, the same Visnovsky who initially didn’t want to join the Islanders after being traded from Anaheim over the summer.
As Visnovsky told Staple, he seems pretty loosey-goosey about the whole thing.
“Sure, why not? I’m open for anything,” he said. “Next year is far off, and right now I’m thinking about the next game here, this team here. I was never thinking about the [trade] deadline. I’m playing for the Islanders and I’m happy here.”
Obviously the time he spent with Nabokov, who was similarly disinterested when acquired by the Isles, has rubbed off on him.
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 5
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 8
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 6
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 33
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 89
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 49
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (93)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)