Mar 17, 2013, 11:45 AM EDT
The Islanders are pushing hard to make the playoffs for the first time since the 2006-07 season and it sounds like GM Garth Snow wants to keep three key veterans to that push beyond this season.
Arthur Staple of New York Newsday reports the team is looking to sign goalie Evgeni Nabokov as well as defensemen Mark Streit and Lubomir Visnovsky to extensions to stay on Long Island. Yes, the same Visnovsky who initially didn’t want to join the Islanders after being traded from Anaheim over the summer.
As Visnovsky told Staple, he seems pretty loosey-goosey about the whole thing.
“Sure, why not? I’m open for anything,” he said. “Next year is far off, and right now I’m thinking about the next game here, this team here. I was never thinking about the [trade] deadline. I’m playing for the Islanders and I’m happy here.”
Obviously the time he spent with Nabokov, who was similarly disinterested when acquired by the Isles, has rubbed off on him.
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 31
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)