Mar 17, 2013, 12:01 AM EDT
While the Montreal Canadiens are in the conversation, Sunday’s NHL on NBC game features a battle between the East’s elite as the deep and dangerous Boston Bruins visit the red-hot Pittsburgh Penguins.
The Penguins are currently on an eight-game winning streak, with four of those victories coming since Evgeni Malkin was sidelined with an upper-body injury on March 9. Sidney Crosby can sheepishly shrug off best player in the world questions from outlets like the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette all he wants, but he’s easily atop the league leaders with 47 points.
Still, as smoldering as Pittsburgh is, many wonder if the team can play strong enough defense to make a deep playoff run in 2013 … especially against a team as balanced as the Boston Bruins.
Speaking of finding the right balance, Bruins head coach Claude Julien told CSNNE.com that Saturday’s rugged 4-1 win against the Washington Capitals showed glimpses of what he wants to see from that team.
“With what happened against that team in the last year, there’s no reason why we shouldn’t be ready to play them tonight. We’ve got to start playing closer to our identity,” Julien said. “It’s about putting pucks in, fore-checking, it’s about being physical, it’s about being aggressive in more areas, and more or less playing a north-south type of game. I thought we did that tonight.”
The two teams tested each other on Tuesday, with the Penguins prevailing 3-2 against the Bruins thanks to a three-goal third period that dismantled Boston’s 2-0 lead.
Could the Penguins extend their winning streak to nine straight games or will the Bruins get revenge for Tuesday’s loss? We’ll find out starting at 12:30 p.m. ET on Sunday.
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 0
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 69
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 63
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)