Mar 17, 2013, 12:01 AM EDT
While the Montreal Canadiens are in the conversation, Sunday’s NHL on NBC game features a battle between the East’s elite as the deep and dangerous Boston Bruins visit the red-hot Pittsburgh Penguins.
The Penguins are currently on an eight-game winning streak, with four of those victories coming since Evgeni Malkin was sidelined with an upper-body injury on March 9. Sidney Crosby can sheepishly shrug off best player in the world questions from outlets like the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette all he wants, but he’s easily atop the league leaders with 47 points.
Still, as smoldering as Pittsburgh is, many wonder if the team can play strong enough defense to make a deep playoff run in 2013 … especially against a team as balanced as the Boston Bruins.
Speaking of finding the right balance, Bruins head coach Claude Julien told CSNNE.com that Saturday’s rugged 4-1 win against the Washington Capitals showed glimpses of what he wants to see from that team.
“With what happened against that team in the last year, there’s no reason why we shouldn’t be ready to play them tonight. We’ve got to start playing closer to our identity,” Julien said. “It’s about putting pucks in, fore-checking, it’s about being physical, it’s about being aggressive in more areas, and more or less playing a north-south type of game. I thought we did that tonight.”
The two teams tested each other on Tuesday, with the Penguins prevailing 3-2 against the Bruins thanks to a three-goal third period that dismantled Boston’s 2-0 lead.
Could the Penguins extend their winning streak to nine straight games or will the Bruins get revenge for Tuesday’s loss? We’ll find out starting at 12:30 p.m. ET on Sunday.
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 0
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 45
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)