Mar 17, 2013, 2:26 PM EDT
Mike Harrington of The Buffalo News reports Kaleta will be a healthy scratch for tonight’s game at home against the Capitals. Judging by what he had to say about sitting out another game, he’s none too pleased.
“I’m pissed off. I want to play,” Kaleta said. “And especially after watching some things, sitting there watching the game, I want to play. … I guess they don’t need me right now I guess. I’ve been pissed off watching for the past couple weeks. No matter if you’re a fan, a player, you guys know what’s going on. You should be pissed off. You should play with a little piss and vinegar. You shouldn’t be happy. We’re not in position we want to be in. We have to work harder, come in and do something about it.”
Sabres coach Ron Rolston at first said he wouldn’t know who to sit out in his place but then offered up this statement about why Kaleta will be in the press box. More from Harrington:
“He understands what just happened and the way he’s got to play. But again, we want to balance the way he plays and not take that away from him either because that’s what makes him a valuable hockey player in the league.”
Kaleta’s hit from behind on Richards helped turn that game in the Rangers’ favor and his style of game tends to cross the line between helping and hindering the team. Getting a team-added extra game to sit and think about it might not be the worst thing in the world for him.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 9
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 40