Mar 17, 2013, 12:04 AM EDT
Dallas Stars standout Jamie Benn isn’t known for being overly frank – at least in front of a camera or around a microphone – but 8-1 losses can do that to almost any player. He was blunt about that embarrassing loss to the Chicago Blackhawks on Saturday.
“Well, we [expletived] on our first goalie and [same expletived] on our second,” Benn said. “We left them hanging out to dry and that’s unacceptable. We need to do something in this room to change that. It was just an unacceptable effort tonight.”
Benn didn’t seem too eager to use fatigue as an excuse, noting that other teams are dealing with the same issues (much like John Tortorella said earlier tonight about the New York Rangers’ woes).
Here’s video of that post-game venting session:
With a 12-12-3 record for 27 points after losing four in a row, the Stars find themselves in 12th place in the West (although they’re only three points behind eighth place at the moment). In other words, Benn & Co. have time to turn things around – but there might be some ugly moments along the way.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)