Mar 17, 2013, 1:33 PM EDT
Tampa Bay was able to get back on the good side of things beating Carolina 4-1 last night, but times are still tough for the Bolts. Are they tough enough to consider dealing a face of the franchise though?
Damian Cristodero of the Tampa Bay Times wonders aloud if things continue to go south for the Lightning if they’d consider trading former MVP winner Martin St. Louis.
St. Louis, 37, might look at a team clearly in transition — it is trying to develop Anders Lindback as a No. 1 goaltender and has eight players on its current roster who played last season or have played this season in the AHL — and wonder how much longer he can wait.
If St. Louis was amenable to a deal, or even sought one out quietly, the kind of return he could get in a trade might be bigger than what, say, Calgary could get for Jarome Iginla. St. Louis’ contract goes through the end of the 2014-15 season with a juicy $5.625 cap hit.
While his age may be a concern, his production is not as he’s just one point behind teammate Steven Stamkos for the Lightning lead in scoring and sits fourth overall in the league. A player that productive would be hard to find if you’re a contending team but could be the missing piece towards winning a Stanley Cup.
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)