Mar 16, 2013, 6:00 AM EST
The Philadelphia Flyers needed a win against the New Jersey Devils Friday – they would’ve been “done” otherwise.
It proved to be the winner, as the Flyers edged the Devils 2-1.
The goal didn’t take away from the fact Flyers goalie Ilya Bryzgalov was solid, stopping 27 of 28 shots faced, after “Another disappointing loss” in the first game of this two-game set with the Devils on Wednesday.
“You need to play those tight games and tonight was the step in the right direction. We had to go to the shootout to get those two points but that’s what we have to do,” Flyers forward Simon Gagne told CSN Philadelphia.
“Do your job. The goalie did his job at the end.”
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 40
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 41
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (41)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (40)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)