Mar 16, 2013, 7:25 PM EDT
While some look at Jose Theodore‘s recovery window from a torn groin muscle as four-to-six weeks, an update from RDS’ Renaud Lavoie spins it another way: the 36-year-old goalie hopes to play two or three more games this season.
It’s easy to look at that as a wasteful goal considering his injury – especially if the team’s fate doesn’t change in the next month or so.
From Theodore’s perspective, it makes perfect sense, though.
His contract runs out after this season, so if he wants to stay in the NHL, he might be forced to prove that he’s healthy enough to play. Considering the fact that surgery was at least a consideration following that torn groin muscle, it might be a hard sell.
Still, he’s quietly put together decent work here and there as a backup and occasional spot starter, so he has at least a shot at sticking around – if he can prove to a team that he’s healthy enough to do so.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)