Mar 16, 2013, 7:25 PM EST
While some look at Jose Theodore‘s recovery window from a torn groin muscle as four-to-six weeks, an update from RDS’ Renaud Lavoie spins it another way: the 36-year-old goalie hopes to play two or three more games this season.
It’s easy to look at that as a wasteful goal considering his injury – especially if the team’s fate doesn’t change in the next month or so.
From Theodore’s perspective, it makes perfect sense, though.
His contract runs out after this season, so if he wants to stay in the NHL, he might be forced to prove that he’s healthy enough to play. Considering the fact that surgery was at least a consideration following that torn groin muscle, it might be a hard sell.
Still, he’s quietly put together decent work here and there as a backup and occasional spot starter, so he has at least a shot at sticking around – if he can prove to a team that he’s healthy enough to do so.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 5
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 75
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 13
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)