Mar 16, 2013, 7:25 PM EST
While some look at Jose Theodore‘s recovery window from a torn groin muscle as four-to-six weeks, an update from RDS’ Renaud Lavoie spins it another way: the 36-year-old goalie hopes to play two or three more games this season.
It’s easy to look at that as a wasteful goal considering his injury – especially if the team’s fate doesn’t change in the next month or so.
From Theodore’s perspective, it makes perfect sense, though.
His contract runs out after this season, so if he wants to stay in the NHL, he might be forced to prove that he’s healthy enough to play. Considering the fact that surgery was at least a consideration following that torn groin muscle, it might be a hard sell.
Still, he’s quietly put together decent work here and there as a backup and occasional spot starter, so he has at least a shot at sticking around – if he can prove to a team that he’s healthy enough to do so.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 9
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 21
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 61
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)