Mar 16, 2013, 7:25 PM EDT
While some look at Jose Theodore‘s recovery window from a torn groin muscle as four-to-six weeks, an update from RDS’ Renaud Lavoie spins it another way: the 36-year-old goalie hopes to play two or three more games this season.
It’s easy to look at that as a wasteful goal considering his injury – especially if the team’s fate doesn’t change in the next month or so.
From Theodore’s perspective, it makes perfect sense, though.
His contract runs out after this season, so if he wants to stay in the NHL, he might be forced to prove that he’s healthy enough to play. Considering the fact that surgery was at least a consideration following that torn groin muscle, it might be a hard sell.
Still, he’s quietly put together decent work here and there as a backup and occasional spot starter, so he has at least a shot at sticking around – if he can prove to a team that he’s healthy enough to do so.
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 41
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 4
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 28
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 14
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 73
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 8
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination