Mar 16, 2013, 6:42 PM EST
New York Rangers head coach John Tortorella is rarely in a good mood following a game – even after wins at times. You can imagine how pleased he was after Saturday’s 3-0 loss to the Pittsburgh Penguins, then.
Tortorella didn’t want to hear the usual excuses while discussing his team’s struggles with Andrew Gross of The Bergen Record.
“We’re done talking about the lockout, lack of practice time …” Tortorella said. “Other teams are finding ways to win. We need to find ways.”
Gross points out that the Rangers have lost three straight regulation games for the first time this season and are just 5-7-1 in their last 13 contests.
A team that received plenty of hype coming into this campaign is currently locked into ninth place in the East with a 13-12-2 record for 28 points in 27 games, prompting defenseman Dan Girardi to label the situation as “gut check” time.
It might also be “get yelled at even more than usual by Torts” time.
Recent highlights of Torts’ rage
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 6
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 34
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 73
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 32
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 63
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)