Mar 16, 2013, 4:42 PM EST
There’s a new winning streak in town and it belongs to the Pittsburgh Penguins.
The Pens ran their run of consecutive wins to eight after today’s 3-0 shutout victory over an offensively challenged New York Rangers team. Beau Bennett, Tyler Kennedy, and Pascal Dupuis each had a goal while Marc-Andre Fleury stopped 23 shots en route to his first shutout of the season. Sidney Crosby was held without a point and proving, for one game at least, that they can get the job done even without him.
Pittsburgh hasn’t had to sweat scoring goals over their eight-game run, but now both Fleury and Tomas Vokoun are stepping up in shutting teams down. Over the last four games, opponents have just four goals. Offensively, the Pens are averaging exactly four goals a game during the streak.
The Pens will look to make it nine in a row tomorrow afternoon on NBC as they take on the Boston Bruins at 12:30 p.m. ET.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)