Mar 16, 2013, 4:42 PM EDT
There’s a new winning streak in town and it belongs to the Pittsburgh Penguins.
The Pens ran their run of consecutive wins to eight after today’s 3-0 shutout victory over an offensively challenged New York Rangers team. Beau Bennett, Tyler Kennedy, and Pascal Dupuis each had a goal while Marc-Andre Fleury stopped 23 shots en route to his first shutout of the season. Sidney Crosby was held without a point and proving, for one game at least, that they can get the job done even without him.
Pittsburgh hasn’t had to sweat scoring goals over their eight-game run, but now both Fleury and Tomas Vokoun are stepping up in shutting teams down. Over the last four games, opponents have just four goals. Offensively, the Pens are averaging exactly four goals a game during the streak.
The Pens will look to make it nine in a row tomorrow afternoon on NBC as they take on the Boston Bruins at 12:30 p.m. ET.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)