Mar 16, 2013, 4:42 PM EST
There’s a new winning streak in town and it belongs to the Pittsburgh Penguins.
The Pens ran their run of consecutive wins to eight after today’s 3-0 shutout victory over an offensively challenged New York Rangers team. Beau Bennett, Tyler Kennedy, and Pascal Dupuis each had a goal while Marc-Andre Fleury stopped 23 shots en route to his first shutout of the season. Sidney Crosby was held without a point and proving, for one game at least, that they can get the job done even without him.
Pittsburgh hasn’t had to sweat scoring goals over their eight-game run, but now both Fleury and Tomas Vokoun are stepping up in shutting teams down. Over the last four games, opponents have just four goals. Offensively, the Pens are averaging exactly four goals a game during the streak.
The Pens will look to make it nine in a row tomorrow afternoon on NBC as they take on the Boston Bruins at 12:30 p.m. ET.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)