Mar 16, 2013, 11:43 AM EDT
Times are tough for the Tampa Bay Lightning of late. Over their last 10 games, they’re just 2-8-0 and when it seems more games than not are worth three points, coming up with just four points in 10 games is bad news.
The Lightning are seven points back of Winnipeg for eighth place in the Eastern Conference and eight points behind Southeast Division leading Carolina. As Steven Stamkos tells Erik Erlendsson of The Tampa Tribune, their game tonight against the Hurricanes is a virtual must-win game.
“We are not in a position to think otherwise right now; we have to get points and that’s the only way we are going to give ourselves a chance to climb back into the race,” center Steven Stamkos said.
“It’s tough and it’s frustrating, but there are no other options. We have to find ways to win games, at least get a point in games where things are not going as well as you want.”
Tampa Bay has 21 games left in the season and while that sounds like a lot of time to make up ground, there are those pesky three-point games to contend with from everyone else ahead of them. It’s make it or break it time now.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 2
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 15
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 35
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 44
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)