Mar 16, 2013, 11:43 AM EDT
Times are tough for the Tampa Bay Lightning of late. Over their last 10 games, they’re just 2-8-0 and when it seems more games than not are worth three points, coming up with just four points in 10 games is bad news.
The Lightning are seven points back of Winnipeg for eighth place in the Eastern Conference and eight points behind Southeast Division leading Carolina. As Steven Stamkos tells Erik Erlendsson of The Tampa Tribune, their game tonight against the Hurricanes is a virtual must-win game.
“We are not in a position to think otherwise right now; we have to get points and that’s the only way we are going to give ourselves a chance to climb back into the race,” center Steven Stamkos said.
“It’s tough and it’s frustrating, but there are no other options. We have to find ways to win games, at least get a point in games where things are not going as well as you want.”
Tampa Bay has 21 games left in the season and while that sounds like a lot of time to make up ground, there are those pesky three-point games to contend with from everyone else ahead of them. It’s make it or break it time now.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 9
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)