Mar 16, 2013, 3:23 PM EDT
Leino has been practicing more of late with the team after dealing with a hip ailment and it was thought he’d be making his season debut tomorrow. Instead, he gets the start alongside Tyler Ennis and Steve Ott this afternoon against Ottawa.
After the Sabres sent rookie Mikhail Grigorenko back to the QMJHL Quebec Remparts yesterday, it’s on Leino to step in and try to justify the monster contract the team signed him to two summers ago. Ideally, he should be able to help give them a second line that can score goals.
With the Sabres sitting seven points out of the eighth spot in the East, there’s time for them to get into the playoff race, but the wins have to start coming immediately.
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 16
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 46
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 16
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 44
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 21
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39