Mar 16, 2013, 3:23 PM EST
Leino has been practicing more of late with the team after dealing with a hip ailment and it was thought he’d be making his season debut tomorrow. Instead, he gets the start alongside Tyler Ennis and Steve Ott this afternoon against Ottawa.
After the Sabres sent rookie Mikhail Grigorenko back to the QMJHL Quebec Remparts yesterday, it’s on Leino to step in and try to justify the monster contract the team signed him to two summers ago. Ideally, he should be able to help give them a second line that can score goals.
With the Sabres sitting seven points out of the eighth spot in the East, there’s time for them to get into the playoff race, but the wins have to start coming immediately.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)