Mar 16, 2013, 6:11 PM EDT
Much of the hockey world delighted in James Duthie’s video that lampooned the “animosity” between Vancouver Canucks goalies Roberto Luongo and Cory Schneider.
In fact, even head coach Alain Vigneault told the Vancouver Sun that it was funny.
“Give them both full marks,” Vigneault said. “This is a game, it is supposed to be fun. There are different situations within a team that sometimes can be challenging depending on your attitude and how you look at it. They made that a real neat thing. Give them both credit. They are great people, they get along real well and I think that probably proved it to everybody.”
Here it is, if by some chance you haven’t seen it yet:
Schneider, 26, believes it allowed fans to connect with the two netminders on a more personal level.
“Sometimes it’s tough to showcase your personality and what you really feel and how you are and that’s a good thing for fans to see,” he said. “We’re pretty light-hearted, we’re pretty laid back and we like to have fun. You can’t play this game without having fun and I think people enjoy that. We have got a lot of good feedback.”
Fans have already gotten a taste of Luongo’s sense of humor through the 33-year-old’s (barely) unofficial Twitter page. Still, he admits that the video is the gift that keeps giving.
“I have watched it a few times and even when you know what’s going on it’s pretty funny to see when it’s all put together,” Luongo said. “And the out-takes are pretty funny, too.”
It might be a sad day when that “comedy team” gets broken up. It appears Luongo will be around at least a bit longer, however, as he’s temporarily wrestled away the No. 1 spot and looks to redeem himself against the Detroit Red Wings on Saturday.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 9
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)