Mar 16, 2013, 6:11 PM EDT
Much of the hockey world delighted in James Duthie’s video that lampooned the “animosity” between Vancouver Canucks goalies Roberto Luongo and Cory Schneider.
In fact, even head coach Alain Vigneault told the Vancouver Sun that it was funny.
“Give them both full marks,” Vigneault said. “This is a game, it is supposed to be fun. There are different situations within a team that sometimes can be challenging depending on your attitude and how you look at it. They made that a real neat thing. Give them both credit. They are great people, they get along real well and I think that probably proved it to everybody.”
Here it is, if by some chance you haven’t seen it yet:
Schneider, 26, believes it allowed fans to connect with the two netminders on a more personal level.
“Sometimes it’s tough to showcase your personality and what you really feel and how you are and that’s a good thing for fans to see,” he said. “We’re pretty light-hearted, we’re pretty laid back and we like to have fun. You can’t play this game without having fun and I think people enjoy that. We have got a lot of good feedback.”
Fans have already gotten a taste of Luongo’s sense of humor through the 33-year-old’s (barely) unofficial Twitter page. Still, he admits that the video is the gift that keeps giving.
“I have watched it a few times and even when you know what’s going on it’s pretty funny to see when it’s all put together,” Luongo said. “And the out-takes are pretty funny, too.”
It might be a sad day when that “comedy team” gets broken up. It appears Luongo will be around at least a bit longer, however, as he’s temporarily wrestled away the No. 1 spot and looks to redeem himself against the Detroit Red Wings on Saturday.
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 6
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 20
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 18
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 15
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)