Mar 16, 2013, 10:40 PM EDT
Whenever Tuomo Ruutu manages to get back into action with the Carolina Hurricanes, the team faces an interesting question: where will he line up?
During the preseason, the team was pondering putting Jordan and Eric Staal on the same line, yet Ruutu’s season-threatening hip surgery put that to sleep. Now with Eric developing outstanding chemistry alongside Jiri Tlusty and Alexander Semin, Kirk Muller told the Raleigh News & Observer that Ruutu, 30, could prompt some second-line experimenting.
“We need to see where (Ruutu) is at,” Muller said. “If he comes back and he’s playing at the level he’s capable of, initially (the second line) is where you have him penciled in.
“Then you go and see the chemistry for all six. There’s a few scenarios you look at. But I don’t think you do it until you see how he fits in with Jordan and Skinner, and you don’t have to disrupt Eric’s line, which is going so well. I’d rather just experiment with the second (line).”
Skinner-Staal-Ruutu would bring an interesting mix of finesse (Skinner), grit (Ruutu) and combination of both (Staal), but a lot of that depends on the rugged Finn’s fitness and health.
Ruutu said that his rehab is still a work in progress, so Carolina likely will have some time to mull over the possibilities. It could be awfully interesting to see what comes of it.
Oct 20, 2014, 12:43 AM EDT
The goaltender was sent to the AHL for a pair of games over the weekend.
Oct 20, 2014, 12:22 AM EDT
Was hit by a Ryan Suter point shot in the second period.
Oct 19, 2014, 10:56 PM EDT
Defenseman Sami Vatanen has first career two-goal game
Oct 19, 2014, 10:28 PM EDT
Five years with an annual average value of $4.6 million.
Oct 19, 2014, 9:46 PM EDT
Responds to being a healthy scratch by showing up on the scoresheet.
Oct 19, 2014, 8:33 PM EDT
Suffered shoulder injury Saturday.
Oct 19, 2014, 8:13 PM EDT
Lundqvist makes 33 saves for his first shutout of the season.
Oct 19, 2014, 7:42 PM EDT
Listed as day-to-day.
Oct 19, 2014, 7:29 PM EDT
Anton Forsberg recalled from Springfield.
Oct 19, 2014, 7:10 PM EDT
St. Louis and Nash give Rangers a 3-0 lead after 40 minutes.
Oct 19, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
St. Louis visits Anaheim tonight.
Oct 19, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Placed on IR.
Oct 19, 2014, 6:23 PM EDT
Appeared in two AHL games on conditioning assignment.
Oct 19, 2014, 6:03 PM EDT
L.A. hangs on for 2-1 win.
Oct 19, 2014, 5:43 PM EDT
He’s played in 878 career games.
Oct 19, 2014, 5:39 PM EDT
Jokipakka recalled. Nichushkin placed on IR.
Oct 19, 2014, 5:06 PM EDT
That could have ended badly.
Oct 19, 2014, 4:18 PM EDT
“I’m just getting tired.”
Oct 19, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
When he’s healthy, the Canucks will have to decide if he fits into their lineup.
Oct 19, 2014, 2:42 PM EDT
He wasn’t alone in praising the out-of-market fans.
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)