Mar 16, 2013, 9:59 PM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets remain red-hot and Sergei Bobrovsky remains the main reason why.
The 24-year-old Russian netminder continued his torrid March on Saturday, stopping all 39 Phoenix Coyotes shots – and both shootout attempts – to give the Blue Jackets a 1-0 shootout win. (Mike Smith experienced the bittersweet shutout loss, making all 23 saves.)
Columbus is now 6-0-4 in its last 10 games, with “Bob” going 6-0-3 in that span. (Steve Mason dropped a 4-3 OT loss to the Chicago Blackhawks on March 1.)
Bobrovsky now has two shutouts, allowed one goal four times (somehow losing twice after regulation) and allowed two goals once in his hot run. Overall, he has a 9-6-5 record with an outstanding .932 save percentage and 2.00 GAA.
While many believe that this implies a bright future for the Blue Jackets, the present is a surprising consideration, too.
As of this writing, their 28 standings points leaves them just two points behind seventh-ranked Los Angeles (30) and eighth place San Jose (also 30), although both California rivals hold three games in hand. Beating Phoenix was significant in that it keeps the ninth-ranked Coyotes within their grasp at 30 points, as well.
Clearly, Columbus still has a way to go to truly contend for a playoff spot, but teams must take them – and possibly their goalie of the future – seriously for the first time in a long time.
Aug 1, 2014, 7:05 PM EDT
No real surprise, right?
Aug 1, 2014, 6:03 PM EDT
His stats and Stanley Cup victories have us perplexed.
Aug 1, 2014, 4:59 PM EDT
He’s gunning to make an impression on L.A.’s blue line corps.
Aug 1, 2014, 3:58 PM EDT
Teemu forever and ever and ever.
Aug 1, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT
He’s win the Cup twice and has two Olympic gold medals, but he hasn’t captured the Norris Trophy yet.
Aug 1, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT
Montreal and the defenseman can still negotiate until the ruling, but no talks are scheduled.
Aug 1, 2014, 1:07 PM EDT
They’re trying to re-sign both of them this summer.
Aug 1, 2014, 12:03 PM EDT
They averaged 3.38 goals per game in the postseason.
Aug 1, 2014, 10:56 AM EDT
They still might avoid the ruling though.
Aug 1, 2014, 10:06 AM EDT
Sunny Mehta wrote two books on the card game, but he’s turned his attention to advanced statistics in sports.
Aug 1, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
His relationship with Panthers GM Dale Tallon made a big difference.
Aug 1, 2014, 8:45 AM EDT
Will Los Angeles regret opting against a buyout?
Aug 1, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Taking a look at the 2014 champions on Friday.
Jul 31, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Lou Lamoriello says those SO struggles are “not a focus.”
Jul 31, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
“It will help me down the road.”
Jul 31, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
Have fun making up captions with this one.
Jul 31, 2014, 7:39 PM EDT
The team estimates he’ll miss two weeks of on-ice training.
Jul 31, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT
The former first-rounder still needs to prove himself.
Jul 31, 2014, 5:18 PM EDT
The forward is already endearing himself to Blue Jackets fans.
Jul 31, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT
Ottawa’s offseason is receiving mixed reviews.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 14
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 22
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (55)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)