Mar 16, 2013, 9:59 PM EST
The Columbus Blue Jackets remain red-hot and Sergei Bobrovsky remains the main reason why.
The 24-year-old Russian netminder continued his torrid March on Saturday, stopping all 39 Phoenix Coyotes shots – and both shootout attempts – to give the Blue Jackets a 1-0 shootout win. (Mike Smith experienced the bittersweet shutout loss, making all 23 saves.)
Columbus is now 6-0-4 in its last 10 games, with “Bob” going 6-0-3 in that span. (Steve Mason dropped a 4-3 OT loss to the Chicago Blackhawks on March 1.)
Bobrovsky now has two shutouts, allowed one goal four times (somehow losing twice after regulation) and allowed two goals once in his hot run. Overall, he has a 9-6-5 record with an outstanding .932 save percentage and 2.00 GAA.
While many believe that this implies a bright future for the Blue Jackets, the present is a surprising consideration, too.
As of this writing, their 28 standings points leaves them just two points behind seventh-ranked Los Angeles (30) and eighth place San Jose (also 30), although both California rivals hold three games in hand. Beating Phoenix was significant in that it keeps the ninth-ranked Coyotes within their grasp at 30 points, as well.
Clearly, Columbus still has a way to go to truly contend for a playoff spot, but teams must take them – and possibly their goalie of the future – seriously for the first time in a long time.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 17
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 28
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 36
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)