Mar 16, 2013, 12:09 AM EDT
Columbus was supposed to hold the 2013 NHL All-Star Weekend, but the lockout cancelled that.
Now, Columbus Mayor Michael B. Coleman is curious as to when the NHL will bring the extravaganza to the Nationwide Arena.
Coleman wrote a letter to NHL commissioner Gary Bettman earlier this month, and Bettman has responded.
I got a very nice letter from the mayor of Columbus, which I’ve responded to,” Bettman told the Puck-Rakers Blog of The Columbus Dispatch.
“Because we don’t know about Olympic participation (in 2014) yet, and as I think you all know in an Olympic year we don’t have an All-Star game, we’ve got a whole host of factors that we have to look at. We know we owe Columbus a game, but we’re not yet in a position to say what the timeline is.
“My hope is in the next couple of months, as our long-term calendar becomes a bit clearer, we’ll be able to address that more specifically.”
The Puck-Rakers blog also published a copy of Bettman’s letter to the Columbus mayor.
In the meantime, the Columbus Blue Jackets have suddenly began to surge.
Their five-game winning streak may have ended earlier this week against Vancouver, but the Blue Jackets are doing their best Chicago Blackhawks impersonation, securing at least a point in each of their last nine games.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 9
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)