Mar 16, 2013, 12:09 AM EDT
Columbus was supposed to hold the 2013 NHL All-Star Weekend, but the lockout cancelled that.
Now, Columbus Mayor Michael B. Coleman is curious as to when the NHL will bring the extravaganza to the Nationwide Arena.
Coleman wrote a letter to NHL commissioner Gary Bettman earlier this month, and Bettman has responded.
I got a very nice letter from the mayor of Columbus, which I’ve responded to,” Bettman told the Puck-Rakers Blog of The Columbus Dispatch.
“Because we don’t know about Olympic participation (in 2014) yet, and as I think you all know in an Olympic year we don’t have an All-Star game, we’ve got a whole host of factors that we have to look at. We know we owe Columbus a game, but we’re not yet in a position to say what the timeline is.
“My hope is in the next couple of months, as our long-term calendar becomes a bit clearer, we’ll be able to address that more specifically.”
The Puck-Rakers blog also published a copy of Bettman’s letter to the Columbus mayor.
In the meantime, the Columbus Blue Jackets have suddenly began to surge.
Their five-game winning streak may have ended earlier this week against Vancouver, but the Blue Jackets are doing their best Chicago Blackhawks impersonation, securing at least a point in each of their last nine games.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 0
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 9
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 36
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 55
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)