Mar 15, 2013, 8:15 PM EST
It’s not the blockbuster deal many Sabres fans have been calling for, but it’s…a deal.
Buffalo has traded defenseman TJ Brennan to Florida for a fifth-round pick (originally belonging to the Kings) in the 2013 draft.
“T.J. is a young and mobile defenseman with a hard shot, who we are pleased to have acquired,” said Panthers general manager Dale Tallon in a release. “He is a hard working player with an offensive upside, who has averaged almost a point-per-game in the American Hockey League this season. We look forward to his contributions to our organization.”
Brennan, 23, was drafted 31st overall by the Sabres in 2007. He has two goals and no assists in 21 career NHL games.
As Tallon noted, Brennan has been a productive AHL player, as evidenced by his 35 points in 36 games with Rochester this season.
Brennan also played under Panthers head coach Kevin Dineen for two seasons with the Portland Pirates.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 43
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (44)