Mar 15, 2013, 1:48 PM EST
The Anaheim Ducks have added depth and size up front, acquiring David Steckel from Toronto in exchange for Ryan Lasch and a seventh-round pick in 2014.
Steckel, 31, has appeared in 13 games for Toronto this season, registering one assist while averaging seven minutes of ice time per contest.
The longtime Washington Capital (with a brief stint as a New Jersey Devil) fits into Anaheim’s apparent modus operandi for this season — get big, get physical.
At 6-foot-6 and 215 pounds, Steckel will join a team that brought in the likes of Bryan Allen (6-foot-5, 226 pounds), Sheldon Souray (6-foot-4, 233 pounds) Patrick Maroon (6-4, 225) and Brad Staubitz (30 fights over the last two seasons).
In January, the Ducks also signed noted enforcer Jay Rosehill to a one-year deal.
Steckel’s best NHL season came in 2008-09 — in Washington, under current Ducks head coach Bruce Boudreau — when he posted a career-high 19 points and led the Capitals in faceoff winning percentage (57.9).
He also appeared in 14 playoff games for the Caps that year, scoring 3G-2A-5PTS while averaging over 16 minutes a game.
In Lasch, the Leafs get a 26-year-old forward that played in Sweden during the 2010-11 season and Finland during 2011-12.
He played briefly with Anaheim’s AHL affiliate in Norfolk this year before heading back to the Swedish Elite League, where he’s currently with the Vaxjo Lakers.
This move opens up an NHL roster spot for the Leafs, which coincides with Joffrey Lupul being medically cleared to return to action after breaking his arm.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 45
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 72
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 20
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 55
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 74
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (72)