Mar 15, 2013, 1:48 PM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks have added depth and size up front, acquiring David Steckel from Toronto in exchange for Ryan Lasch and a seventh-round pick in 2014.
Steckel, 31, has appeared in 13 games for Toronto this season, registering one assist while averaging seven minutes of ice time per contest.
The longtime Washington Capital (with a brief stint as a New Jersey Devil) fits into Anaheim’s apparent modus operandi for this season — get big, get physical.
At 6-foot-6 and 215 pounds, Steckel will join a team that brought in the likes of Bryan Allen (6-foot-5, 226 pounds), Sheldon Souray (6-foot-4, 233 pounds) Patrick Maroon (6-4, 225) and Brad Staubitz (30 fights over the last two seasons).
In January, the Ducks also signed noted enforcer Jay Rosehill to a one-year deal.
Steckel’s best NHL season came in 2008-09 — in Washington, under current Ducks head coach Bruce Boudreau — when he posted a career-high 19 points and led the Capitals in faceoff winning percentage (57.9).
He also appeared in 14 playoff games for the Caps that year, scoring 3G-2A-5PTS while averaging over 16 minutes a game.
In Lasch, the Leafs get a 26-year-old forward that played in Sweden during the 2010-11 season and Finland during 2011-12.
He played briefly with Anaheim’s AHL affiliate in Norfolk this year before heading back to the Swedish Elite League, where he’s currently with the Vaxjo Lakers.
This move opens up an NHL roster spot for the Leafs, which coincides with Joffrey Lupul being medically cleared to return to action after breaking his arm.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 4
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)