Mar 15, 2013, 1:41 AM EST
The Los Angeles Kings nearly charged back from a 4-1 deficit on Thursday, but the San Jose Sharks held on for a 4-3 victory, giving head coach Todd McLellan the most wins of any bench boss in franchise history with 207.
He broke a tie with his predecessor Ron Wilson. McLellan’s Sharks record is now 207-100-37 in five regular seasons.
One might argue that a brave coaching move helped make it happen, too.
Moving Brent Burns back to the forward position has paid some early dividends. Burns had a goal and an assist while linemate Logan Couture scored two goals and an assist (including the winner) to help San Jose take the win tonight.
Thursday ended up being a nice night for coaches. CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty points out that Boston Bruins head coach Claude Julien earned his 246th win with the team, passing Milt Schmidt for second all-time in that franchise’s history.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)