Mar 15, 2013, 5:36 PM EST
As trade rumors involving the likes of longtime Sabres Ryan Miller, Jason Pominville and Thomas Vanek continue to fly, Buffalo general manager Darcy Regier told reporters today that he wasn’t in “a blow-it-up mindset” as the April 3 deadline gets closer.
What Regier did admit is that “organizationally we have to find a way, in order to win a championship, to acquire more top players.”
How he intends to accomplish that goal, he didn’t say.
Regier said he’s been on “lots of calls” with other NHL general managers and expects those discussions to continue next week when all 30 GMs get together in Toronto for their annual meetings.
As for the return of forward Mikhail Grigorenko to the Quebec Remparts of the QMJHL, Regier refused to call it a setback in the 18-year-old’s development, instead referring to it as an opportunity to be the “go-to guy” in the junior league’s playoffs.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 44
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (47)