Mar 15, 2013, 5:36 PM EDT
As trade rumors involving the likes of longtime Sabres Ryan Miller, Jason Pominville and Thomas Vanek continue to fly, Buffalo general manager Darcy Regier told reporters today that he wasn’t in “a blow-it-up mindset” as the April 3 deadline gets closer.
What Regier did admit is that “organizationally we have to find a way, in order to win a championship, to acquire more top players.”
How he intends to accomplish that goal, he didn’t say.
Regier said he’s been on “lots of calls” with other NHL general managers and expects those discussions to continue next week when all 30 GMs get together in Toronto for their annual meetings.
As for the return of forward Mikhail Grigorenko to the Quebec Remparts of the QMJHL, Regier refused to call it a setback in the 18-year-old’s development, instead referring to it as an opportunity to be the “go-to guy” in the junior league’s playoffs.
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 11
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 17
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 58
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 32
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22