Mar 15, 2013, 5:36 PM EST
As trade rumors involving the likes of longtime Sabres Ryan Miller, Jason Pominville and Thomas Vanek continue to fly, Buffalo general manager Darcy Regier told reporters today that he wasn’t in “a blow-it-up mindset” as the April 3 deadline gets closer.
What Regier did admit is that “organizationally we have to find a way, in order to win a championship, to acquire more top players.”
How he intends to accomplish that goal, he didn’t say.
Regier said he’s been on “lots of calls” with other NHL general managers and expects those discussions to continue next week when all 30 GMs get together in Toronto for their annual meetings.
As for the return of forward Mikhail Grigorenko to the Quebec Remparts of the QMJHL, Regier refused to call it a setback in the 18-year-old’s development, instead referring to it as an opportunity to be the “go-to guy” in the junior league’s playoffs.
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 0
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 17
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 29
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 30
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 75
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 13
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (75)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (44)